ClubRoadster.net banner

FREEDOM ECU + AE101 throttle bodies ....

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  RdSnake 
#1 ·
I really like the look of the E&E kit from Japan that comes with manifold/freedom ecu/sensors etc - you supply the toyota ae101 throttle bodies ( have a set already )

only problem is that the freedom ecu is only ( as far as I am aware ) supplied with Japanese software and I don't speak Japanese :roll:

is my only option to find a local Japanese speaking tuner that could set them up for me !!?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Why not speak to TrackTec or Performance5?

http://www.tracktec.co.uk/

http://www.performance5.com/

P5 can do you the cheapie Greddy Emanage, or LINK, or a stateofth-art Hydra Nemesis. TrackTec can do the LINK or TEC-3

Not much use getting a Jap ECU with zero support in the UK. And they're not so good; I've heard of penty of Jap ECUs going bad on imports, and really being beyond repair.

Besides the ECU and TBs themselves, all you need is a runner.

#5 ·
Why not speak to TrackTec or Performance5?

http://www.tracktec.co.uk/

http://www.performance5.com/

P5 can do you the cheapie Greddy Emanage, or LINK, or a stateofth-art Hydra Nemesis. TrackTec can do the LINK or TEC-3

Not much use getting a Jap ECU with zero support in the UK. And they're not so good; I've heard of penty of Jap ECUs going bad on imports, and really being beyond repair.

Besides the ECU and TBs themselves, all you need is a runner.
I beg to differ on this - you will not be able to get solid tunability, accurate and fuel mapping in the proper ranges, and a zillion other things that a true ECU (like Freedom, HKS, TECIII) will do. The Greddy, Emanage or Link will not do well - especially on a 1.8l engine.

I do agree that suppport for an ECU is importnat - so if I could have wwent with a Motec or TECIII, I would have. But make no mistake, the ECU is what makes or breaks a solid IRTB setup - especially if you want to pass emissions, etc.

#6 ·
the idea behind the freedom kit was that it was all set up ready for the AE101's and my NA6CE ... only needing minor tweeking to get it all working smoothly ...

if I started off with something like the motec ot tecIII or emanage then I would surely be spending big bucks on setup and tuning time by someone ?

I am no expert on the tuning/performance side of things but I really want the IRTB's insteads of going for a turbo or SC ...

#7 ·
TrackTec know all about the Tec3/tecIII. Phil at P5 knows a thing or two about the Motec.

Maybe you ought to speak to them. Also Paul Sheard; he has an ace setup on one of his Roadsters, and is a long time tuner. My cousin's godfather is Tony Thompson, possibly the number 1 tuner of Elans worldwide (his runabout is a NA 65 Elan 1.6 chucking out 200hp on Weber 45s...). He's looking at MX5s at the next thing, now he's gotten bored of Elans. Reckons IRTBs will be a cinch.

There is a ton of extremely knowledgable people in the UK when it comes to ECU tuning. Shame not enough in the MX5 community bother to use them.

#8 ·
thanks Andy, that is very interesting ...

I am really not interested in turbo or SC and the atributes of IRTB's is definately the way to go for me.

It is a shame that here in the UK 99.9% of people seem far more interested in reaching massive hp figures through SC's and turbo systems than going for something a bit more interesting ... I would gladly give up on high end speeds for the throttle resonse of the IRTB's

As soon as I have finished my interior and bodywork I will get started on the engine ... anyone want to lend me £4000 :roll:

#10 ·
As soon as I have finished my interior and bodywork I will get started on the engine ... anyone want to lend me £4000 :roll:
Cheaper to import a modified car and strip it. Some of these modified Roadsters are graded 0 at auction, merely because they are heavily modified.
fair point, but that WOULD really piss my wife off :shock: a car in the garage that never goes anywhere but I spend lots of cash on it and, oh don't worry dear this other car in the driveway is just going to be canibalised for parts :roll:

I'd have to think long and hard for an excuse to cover that one !!!

However if anyone has imported a heavily modified car with a nice set or IRTB's/ECU/WIDE watanabe's/tuckin99 flares etc and you want to sell up let me know :wink:

#14 ·
Nope, the Mikunis are copies of Weber 40s. You'll get a snappier throttle response, a bit extra power (10-15hp more when combined with a decent exhaust and header), worse fuel consumption, and less reliability (thats partly why carbs were ditched). Remember, these things won't even have an auto-choke.

These ebay ones are far too much. They might well need a rebuild kit.

#18 ·
Michael, I was going to ask you if you could forward freight it to me if the seller wouldn't ship internationally. I did confirmed with that it is indeed for a 1.6L B6 motor. But then I figured I really didn't want the old Mikunis and while the manifold was desireable, I didn't think it was worth $400+ dollars for just that alone. New DCOE manifolds can be had from Mazda Motorsports Development in the US for ~$700. RdSnake says that Pierce offers 1.6L DCOE intake manifolds for under $400 new even though its not listed in their catalog. I'll contact Pierce and report back. Alternatively, Shake Down offers a kit for the 1.6 as well. Things are a bit easier if you have a 1.8L BP since TWM already offer a sweet setup with the throttles integrated into the manifold casting.

#19 ·
I think that since I already have a set of AE101's ine excellent working order the best thing for me to do is get the freedom manifold ( B6 ) and sensor set and then decide if I want to sort out my own ECU ( quite like the motec 4 ) here in the UK or get the Freedom one from Japan and start locating a Japanese speaking tuner ...

#20 ·
freedomgli:
i bought my 2 1.6l side draft manifolds and 1 1.8l side draft manifold from 1 guy on ebay. The sellers name is mx83*gx81 and he has good stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.