ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I started a new project on my 01 miata I've seen a lot of done miata and never seen the markers shaved. I used to be a Vw kid and alotnof kids used to shave fender markers and bumpers so I decided to do it. I work as a foreman in a body shop and a firefighter also I do a lot of side aftermarket work. So to start I removed the markers and the socket the light sits in I cut out from the back to be flat with the bumper I used an old bumper for the plastic and cut and shaped an oval a half inch all around bigger than the hole the market was in I urathaned that to the back side of the bumper the. Continued to plastic weld all around the edge then I turned it over and welded the front edge. After that I used another piece of old bumper and cut and shaped it to fit perfectly In the oval (you can use the marker as a good baseline shape). I urathaned that to the backing plate then practice welded the front seam very well making sure the overlap the insert plastic into the bumper I built it up then sanded it down as best as possible I used u-pol filler specifically made for bumpers it's brown in color and it made tho act just like plastic staying flexible then a final 3m glaze was used to fill in any unseen pinholes and was sanded smooth so far I only have 1 done I will post more as I keep going feel free to ask any questions. Granted I know how to do these things well I can do it with ease it still takes a lot of time and patients with enough questions asked and time you can learn at some point I didn't know a thing if your a outgoing diy tote of person all it takes is the materials needed and you can do it

Attachments

·
Hardparker Extraordinaire
3,388 Posts
looks great :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Decided to go a new route on the shaving process..... apoxy fiberglass.... My dad have been a chemical engineer for his whole life and about resin is the only thing that can bond to absolutely anything there's a very specific method to applying to plastic tho. First you gotta get it ready cut out the socket and make it flat on the inside and scuff it real good with some 80 grit. now from a chemical background plastic oxidizes faster than anything. What does that mean you ask... Just like metal rust plastic does the same but instantly which can cause the apoxy to plastic bond to be weak so after scuffing clean the area and with the soft flame of the touch (where the v inside the flame is) heat the plastic area you will see where you scuffed turn dark again kinda of as if you wet it this rid the oxidation. Then quickly coat with just the apoxy resin. Let that sit over night next make yourself a cardboard template that fits the hole perfect cover that in plastic tape (resin and fiberglass will not stick to tape) and set that on the front side then next day coat again and out your fiberglass in place dab with a cheap paint brush with resin the soak it and get all the air bubbles out then let that sit overnight. Next day you'll be cutting a piece of fiber the fit in the marker hole soaking it and putting that in place it's a very very simple process that will only work with APOXY fiberglass any question I can try to explain better message me I'll have more pics soon as well

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
That is illegal?You will eventually get a ticket or worse, if you get into a side accident at night, fault or not, you will be at fault. I am surprised your father did not have a concern.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You're doing a really cool thing and I've subscribed to your thread. Like humming, however, I wish you could describe it better.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
The grammar in this thread can't even.

Dude, it's epoxy. Not apoxy.
There's a product called apoxy. The guy who made his own TSIs used them. Not saying OP used this, just playing devil's advocate. That being said, I'm currently rewriting this post in a Word document because I'd like to save these instructions for later, lol.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
There's a product called apoxy. The guy who made his own TSIs used them. Not saying OP used this, just playing devil's advocate. That being said, I'm currently rewriting this post in a Word document because I'd like to save these instructions for later, lol.
Noted. Screen shot of all the red underlines plz.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
Nice... I shaved my bumper lights (and bodyline) on my NA, but never seen anyone do it on a NB. I know this is like 2-3 years old, but do you have any pics of the final result on the car?

·
Administrator
15,200 Posts
Please no. Removing things that help make your tiny car visible to more people is the bad kind of natural selection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts