ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey pal's, ive searched and I havnt found anybody that posted with the exact same problem I am currently having, so lets see if my specific symptoms can help some of you experts help me out.

3 days ago: sold my wide ass wheels to buy more wide ass wheels. Put on my narrow stock wheels. My front tires were rubbing pretty ferociously against the top and inside of my wheel-wells. So I raised it 1 inch in the front. So I went from decently slammed to sorta low in the front. Here is how it sits now.

Yesterday: Did about 120mph on the highway and was doing 100 for a good bit. I just wanted to get back to my apartment asap and wanted took advantage of not being crushed to the ground as I dont think I have taken it over 85 in the past few months haha.

Today: When driving low speeds I am experiencing a popping/clicking feeling in my feet. It feels like its coming from the front of the car and it seems to never really go away. When going at faster speeds the popping feeling is not quite as hard but it pops/clicks much faster. Also seems to pop more frequently when turning and low speeds.

My old VW gti did this when I had bad cv joints, but that was front wheel drive and im not sure if they are the exact same thing with a rwd car.

Can anybody tell me their best guess as to what this is and how much it would be to fix. Also my gti did this b/c the wishbone bolt that held the tranny in place fell out, when i returned the bolt the popping got less and less loud and frequent and eventually went away. Could this popping im experiencing actually go away once I slam my car again because a suspension/steering component has worn in a certain way? And do you think this is due to the raising or speeding factor, or both?

Thank you for whoever takes the time to read this and help me.

Dustin

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Check the wheel weights on the inside of the wheels. If you have a bigger brake kit, the caliper might be hitting the weights stuck on the wheel(s).

Check to make sure the lugs are torqued.

Look for metal or rocks stuck in the tires on the face of the tread.

If you have aftermarket SS brake lines, check to see if they are rubbing on the wheels.

Good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the wheel weights on the inside of the wheels. If you have a bigger brake kit, the caliper might be hitting the weights stuck on the wheel(s).

Check to make sure the lugs are torqued.

Look for metal or rocks stuck in the tires on the face of the tread.

If you have aftermarket SS brake lines, check to see if they are rubbing on the wheels.

Good luck!
All the the brakes and lines are factory. Thanks I will re-check the lugs. And I feel like rocks stuck in wheels would give more of an unbalanced tire feel or flat spot feel...You can sorta hear and feel the popping/clicking, seems to be more mechanical. Thank you though.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the same problem I believe. It's coming near the left side, more by like the clutch area right? If so, I still haven't figured out what it is and it's bothering me. It's like there is some loose, just hanging around and bangs around when driving especially on bumps and what not.... but it seems to happen only sometimes which is confusing to me. Any more info?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have the same problem I believe. It's coming near the left side, more by like the clutch area right? If so, I still haven't figured out what it is and it's bothering me. It's like there is some loose, just hanging around and bangs around when driving especially on bumps and what not.... but it seems to happen only sometimes which is confusing to me. Any more info?
I hear a sound like this too, part of me thinks it's the sound of lifter tick and the engine just needs a good cleaning. But another part of me says it's a heatsheild or somehting like that either loose or missing a bolt or something. Still tracking it down.

·
Registered
380 Posts
sounds like the exact problem i have and i have a post on here about it. its a bad ball joint. i think the upper one if im right.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
upper balljoints rarely go bad. the lowers, not so much. you would need to raise your front wheel off the ground and check for play on that.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Check for loose eccentric bolts too. They pop at low speeds and under hard cornering if loose.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well I checked out a couple things and it happened to be my suspension altogether. When I had put the fronts on, I guess the bushing that sits under the top hat wasn't sitting in there straight and when I lowered it back down, the car just sat on a part of it, causing it to squeek constantly. Because it didn't sitting all the way correctly down onto the shock, it cause the top hat bolts to not be tightened completely, giving it about an inch of play, making the washers rattle and the shock itself to bounce around and make constantly clunking sounds everytime I hit a bump of some sort. All in all, fixed the problem and no more noises :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts