ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your guys thoughts, opinions? effincense, verse ic volume. is what i was thnking but i dont know i have tested them both. ok what do you think

·
Registered
514 Posts
V-mount for the win!!! Dare to be different man.

-Jeremy

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I believe he means efficiency. What your setup, Chris(kickinoutyo) has a v-mount so shoot him a PM.

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
I believe he means efficiency. What your setup, Chris(kickinoutyo) has a v-mount so shoot him a PM.
I don't know if you could exactly call what Chris has a "V-mount" It looks more like a top-mount setup to me. Not top-mount like subaru, but like....it's flat....
doesnt a "V" mount depend on where the radiator sits too?? having them both angled to the shape of a V?

·
3,857 Posts
I think everything depends on how much time you have in your hands :)

I believe a V or Z mount is the best but the differences shouldn't be huge in comparison with a good front mount IC (like the TDR A/A IC).

If you go with the V or Z mount way you have to fabricate everything by yourself...so everything depends on you knowledge and you skills.
If you have plenty of free time and another car to commute you can start that project and I believe you'll learn a lot out of the process!

If you make a clean and efficient design talk with Bill Wilner (miataroadster) and you might even be able to market it and make money ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
a v mount allows the heat to be dissipated more easily. so v mount ftw.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Im so tired of reading this...

has anyone ever produced actual data comparisons between a vmount and a regular front mount setup? I mean on a full tilt purpose built race car maybe but I dont even see real race cars do it that often...

vmount = jdm = better? I want numbers.

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
Im so tired of reading this...

has anyone ever produced actual data comparisons between a vmount and a regular front mount setup? I mean on a full tilt purpose built race car maybe but I dont even see real race cars do it that often...

vmount = jdm = better? I want numbers.
Vmount is all about providing equally cool air to intercooler and radiator. Not running through one... and then heated up air getting to the other. That alone is an enhancement that is quite obvious.

Thats the main reason I'm doing this on my miata... it is being built for mainly track usage... so I have cooling systems as a priority. With the vmount setup I get cool clean air for the radiator and cool air for the intercooler to prevent heatsoak.

Both Very very important to a car running 30+min sessions on track.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you might think about the side by side mounting position- a couple people have done it one the miata but you take out the stock radiator and replace it with an aftermarket honda half size radiator - the hoses line up pretty closely- then you mount an intercooler next to it slap some fans on the back of each. it would shorten up the piping and the radiator still gets all the air it wants- i always thought using a berk technologies mr2 intercooler for it cause it comes with a fan and if it can cool enough for the mr2's running 300+hp then it should be more than sufficient for our application

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Vmount is all about providing equally cool air to intercooler and radiator. Not running through one... and then heated up air getting to the other. That alone is an enhancement that is quite obvious.

Thats the main reason I'm doing this on my miata... it is being built for mainly track usage... so I have cooling systems as a priority. With the vmount setup I get cool clean air for the radiator and cool air for the intercooler to prevent heatsoak.

Both Very very important to a car running 30+min sessions on track.
I understand the theory. but I have yet to see the proof.

Vmount makes sense of course but its alot of fab work, potentially a lot more money. But again Im waiting on someone who had a front mount setup then went to a vmount and the difference they observed. I have yet to hear anyone do that.

Then there is the hood modification/custom hood factor getting one that flows correctly, and thats at least as heavy as stock.

seems like a smaller fmic, high efficiency radiator + coolant reroute would be the ideal, or parallel mounted IC/RAD + reroute.

both require less fab, and potentially more efficient in terms of aero since no body mods are needed. just possibly ducting work in the mouth.

--
*edit*
just to repeat Im not saying Vmount is not good

·
Banned
1,330 Posts
The size of radiator and intercooler allowed with a vmount is much larger than that of a side by side setup. Thus increasing efficiency. With a car intended for open roadcourse usage... I need cooling for long periods of time.

That alone is the reason I'm going that route.

If you do all your own fab work... its not a higher cost ;)

I'd never pay a shop for it though... they charge an arm and a leg and a first child for it.

Good luck on the data though... if you want examples just look at high end race cars... they seperate the coolant and IC systems for a reason... just because the miata isn't a highend car... doesn't mean the tech can't be applied and reverse engineered.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
yeah I know, I just havent been convinced its actually that much better in trade for the amount of work involved, for most of the weekend "racers" who are planning this.

you might be the exception because your roadracing, but most of the guys Ive seen who are gungho are not in a position to fab it themselves, have any idea what they are talking about, or need it at all.

10 psi greddy systems street/autox? good fmic/WI? sure why not. vmount? nah. (me, and most people)
+15psi (or pretty beefy turbo?) diy homebrew roadracer? sure might need the airflow and coolant volume. (you)

totally different application, Im not saying its a bad idea at all, just that Im not convinced its the magic bullet.

---

I still want numbers from anyone, doesnt matter what car really, the improvement should be seen in any application. but see the numbers Im afraid of might be skewed because some ass might have a fmis thats WAY too big that blocks all air to rad, goes to a inefficient Vmount and could still see huge improvement. not because the vmount is so good but because their og setup was so bad.

--

I compare this idea for the miata to rally cars because they operate at about the same speeds most miatas are going to be in, and I still dont see that many "v mount" setups. I see lots of fmic mounted small and high. maybe thats not the best place to look but thats where I look.

---

of course it does look cool and if thats the reason, thats cool to. it'll still "work" just might not be the best for the application.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was forced to do a "V" mount on my rotory swap due to the amount of heat created by a turbo rotory. I could not run my car hard for any length of time when it was hot out with a front mount. Now with the "V" mount I run about 84c water temp at 14psi of boost, and can do that for a 20 or 30min session without problems.
Yes it did require some fab work but in my opinion it is well worth it.
Also now I have my AC condenser Horizontal just behind the radiator with fans on top to draw air from the bottom. The "Z" mount. Power,Boost, and cold AC. HOO! HOO!

Steve

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
V-mount is all about cooling the coolant, not the charge.

Since air passing through the intercooler is heated before passing through the radiator; it can cause cooling problems.

The idea is to get direct airflow onto both surfaces.

It also requires a bit of creativity to make sure the pressure zones allow for good airflow. Air will not flow through either if the pressuze zone behind each is greater than in front of the core.

This is why you will always typically see a hood extractor used in conjunction with the V-mount setup. Since that area on the front of the hood and a low pressure zone.

The undertray will alos have to be modded in such a fashion to create a good low pressure zonr post radiator.

If you aren't building a dedicated track car, I don't see the point. You can do enough with a traditional setup to prevent overheating, without all the fab work.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts