ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

So my new Miata RF has the super-wicked aesthetic package, which includes the front air dam and grill. In order to mount the front license plate, I have three options:

A) Literally drill through the gorgeous front grill;
B) Mount the plate on the front i-hook tow hitch thing;
C) (Preferred) affix the plate somehow inside the passenger side front window.

Does anyone live in Texas, or another U.S. state which requires front and rear license plates, have any suggestions for how to mount the front plate without ruining the looks of the car?

Cheers y'all!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Technically it has too be mounted on the furthest forward part of the front of the vehicle(law was supposedly rewritten and worded as such a few years ago) so any where other than the front bumper isn't legal.

My solution, don't run a front license plate. :suicide: Haven't had one on my Miata's for the past 4-5 years and have yet to have a issue. Of course I haven't been pulled over for anything in that time frame. For the record I daily my miata but only average 5k-6k miles a year and currently averaging less than 400 miles a month. Obviously the more you drive the more of a chance of it being a issue. If you obey traffic laws you should be fine with out one.

Otherwise I would get a license plate relocation setup that doesn't require drilling the front bumper. Many use the tow hook as an attachment point. I'm sure there are several options out there for the ND.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
As GM said, on the dash or windshield is illegal as of 2009. It used to be the old school way of getting around it, but the courts have said otherwise.

Relocation would be the best bet, so you don't have to worry about getting pulled over or drilling the front bumper cover.

·
100% Jakedashian
6,710 Posts
I've seen people go to a vinyl shop and get a vinyl sticker replica of their plate and slap it on their bumper. As long as it matches the one on the rear the cops never gave them an issue with it.

This sort of thing:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I live in the Austin/SA area. No front plate on my Miata nor my F150. I've never had a problem with the Miata. I've been warned once in 8 years on the truck. Meh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts