ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my review after 700 miles of driving with the fujiracing flywheel combo, and the ss hard line

I got the exedy clutch and flywheel installed at a recommended place where most imports where done. I could of done the install myself but for the time and the availability of the car i couldn't give that up.

So once i got the car back i was real careful not to slip the clutch too much when driving home. But right away i noticed that it was relatively easy to drive. So for the next 500miles.... blah blah boring stuff~~ driving so slow. Then once i hit the 500 mile mark i began to drive it harder. I noticed that from start to 4k... the car is normal, maybe a tad faster. but after 4k to redline is where it gets fun, it just whips over to the redline very quickly. I've never experienced that before. Mind you that my car is totally stock other then my tein flexes and my rollbar, which do not really add to throttle response.

The rev is alot quicker i heard no extra buzzing sounds whatsoever. Probably because the car is louder then whatever noise there is.

Over all i am quite happy with the flywheel, and the oem clutch is GREAT during traffic, it's softer then stock but it still grips. If you have more power in your car then obviously this isn't the clutch to use. But i want to go the ITB route so it works fine with my future plans.

As for the SS hard line, i can't really comment because my slave was also changed out. But for some reason i get this squishy sound everytime i step on the clutch slowly... I dont' know where that came from but i hope it goes away soon.

Also, great service from Jimmy! Even tho i pestered him with over 30 emails in 3 days... Nevertheless GREAT service and I am planning to get those itb's soon!

·
Registered
186 Posts
In what gears do you see the quicker throttle response? How much faster is your car. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the shop charge to install? Thanks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my shop is runned by my friend and he charged me 350CAD for everything... clutch change, flywheel install, and clutch line and every fluid bleed and filled.

i see quicker response in the first 2 gears, in the higher rpm's. in the low rpms it's pretty much same as stock. but once i'm past 4k rpm it just rushs over to redline.

·
Registered
902 Posts
How can I get one of those Fuji Racing lightweight flywheels?
Get in touch with me and I can go over whatever questions you may have since I have sold many combo's with our Flywheel from OEM-ACT-SPEC-EXEDY. The Flywheels have been used on Boosted,IRTB and even bone stock Miata's, and I am happy to report no issues thus far.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
186 Posts
Get in touch with me and I can go over whatever questions you may have since I have sold many combo's with our Flywheel from OEM-ACT-SPEC-EXEDY. The Flywheels have been used on Boosted,IRTB and even bone stock Miata's, and I am happy to report no issues thus far.

Jimmy
FujiRacing
What's the difference between the three aftermarket clutches. Is one preferred over the others? Will the OEM handle an IRTB set-up?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have no experience with the other ones but oem is just oem, ACT and exedy are just different brand names, i think exedy is very popular and is made in japan as per ACT... i don' know where but it's more common in the northamerican market. And i think the spec ones are for the guys building spec miatas... i choose the exedy one becuase i like putting japanese parts with a japanese car. so that's jsut my theory. And from what jimmy told me the oem is enough for irtb's unless you changing all your pistons and camshafts...... then you might need something more strong. if your going with jimmy's irtb i think the oem is suffient.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Nice review.
I'll add a few things though.
Daikin (one of the world's largest clutch manufacturers) makes all of Exedy's OEM clutches. They're not on par w/ Exedy's Stage 1 clutches (just to clarify) which are actually made by Exedy.

Spec clutches aren't specifically for Spec Miata. The guys who started and currently run Spec are based out of B'ham, AL (i.e. a few miles from my house). They make pretty good quality clutches from what I've experienced too.

Geromichi, I'm glad to hear that your Fuji flywheel doesn't rattle. My Fidanza does, but I'm thinking that a new transmission and a proper mixture of Redline MT90/MTL/GM friction modifier might fix the gear rattle transferring to the flywheel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On starting off do you have to give it a lot more gas with a 9# flywheel?? I'd like a little more get up and go so would like to put a lighter flywheel on my car when I put a new clutch in witch will be soon because some times I feel a little slip. But don't want to rev it up to 4K just to start off at a light. I was thinking of some thing like 12 # flywheel??
Thanks Art

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's only about 300-500rpm's difference, i definitely do gas higher, never higher then 2000rpm, i do it naturally now and my car's not running right now so when i get it running again i'll let you know exactly what rpm's i'm starting off at.

Even now to this day i've had NO problems with the flywheel. It was a great buy and i'd do it over again if i had to.

But i might of picked up the stage 1 clutch.... the stock one is too mushy for me but i can live with it. =)

but it's around 1500rpm's. it's not that big a difference when your starting, you'll feel the difference when your foot is on the gas pedal.

reason why i picked fuji racing over everything else is because of the chromoly material it's made out of. the fidanza one is NICE, but short term only. it's made out of aluminum and it's easier to warp more then the fuji one with daily usage.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OKAY I got my car back and on my 9 pound flywheel i start moving at 1100 rpms.

anything lower then that... i start to stall.

hope that helps anyone. it really drives like a normal clutch from 1-4k's it's just that you can't dump the clutch or else it will automatically stall.. you have to learn to slip the clutch alot more. Doesn't mean you have to rev higher =)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I installed the FujiRacing flywheel with a MSM clutch on my 1997. The clutch engages sooner and the engine revs up harder than before at 2K rpm, which makes for a very slight increase in acceleration. That's about it, the flywheel weighs in at 9.6 lbs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts