ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping that we can put a catback on the market sometime this year and I want to hear your opinions. It will be for 90-97 with a straight design and be one of the lightest on the market. What I want to know is what type of muffler would everyone like to see. I'm favoring a mini or smaller type of SS muffler with great sound in mind. Since I have access to many style mufflers in Japan that is where it will be coming from. Different pics or designs will be appreciated. Thanks!

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
I think a teardrop muffler style would be really cool and different in the miata realm. Trying to find a picture..

Heres one on a s2k and I saw another one on a 240sx at a drift event.

I also agree with freedomgli, a RS2 replica would be another great option that seems to be popular.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dual 2 1/2 -3" tips would be great (not dual outlet, but dual tip.) I don't think anyone makes this style for NA Miatas.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Jimmy, you're going to get a dozen different responses from a dozen different people. Everybody prefers something a bit different. Bill Wilner made an attempt to market a new cat-back system based on feedback from people on this forum. Eventually he gave up trying to reconcile all the different requests and decided the thing to do was make an RS*R GT-II replica since the Miata application has seemingly been abandoned by RS*R here in the USA. But after months of delays and rejections from various suppliers that didn't work out, either.

Turbo guys will say they want 3" diameter no mufflers. Or maybe 1 muffler. Or maybe just a resonator. To them flow seems most important since a turbo naturally attenuates sound waves. N/A guys will say they want 2.25" diameter, resonator, and a muffler and NO drone. Some will say they like raspy exhausts but that's only like .000001% of potential buyers. The N/A guys will be particularly hung up on sound since it's a well known fact that there's only a few hp difference with a cat-back anyways (within the statistical variability of a brake dyno like a DynoJet) and most gains are just peak gains not full rpm range gains. So basically what you're buying is something to make your car sound fast, not necessarily go fast. Many would prefer the system be lighter than stock. I can tell you my Racing Beat is very sturdy and well built but not particularly light. You'll also get people debating the merits of dual vs. single exit exhausts. People will invariably say dual exhaust = stupid on an inline 4-cylinder motor.

I can dig up an old issue of Road&Ster where they compare several different exhaust systems on a dyno if you think that would be helpful. I presume your goal is to sell as many exhaust systems as possible. In this case, I recommend the following:

1. Two-piece design with separate mid-pipe and axle-back sections.
  2. Joints can either be slip fit or flanged. V-bands are nice but too expensive for you to sell in decent volume and profit margin.
  3. Optional resonator for center section (Racing Beat does it this way - shoot, just buy mid-pipes from Racing Beat and maybe you'll get even more customers for the axle-back section if the two systems are compatible).
  4. Rear axle-back muffler section to look EXACTLY like RS*R GT-II but with slightly improved ground clearance to clear all factory and aftermarket rear subframe braces.
  5. Alternatively, you could market an exhaust system that is super simple in appearance like those from Car Make Corn's. In this case, the entire exhaust system must be polished. The exhaust tip must be a simple polished pipe 3" in diameter that exits the muffler with a 90° bend to exit straight out the factory location. The tip must not have any flare or rolled edge or slash cut. Just simple round polished pipe.
  6. You might get some people interested in a center exit exhaust. Keep in mind you'll have to fit larger resonator and a decent sized muffler to keep the drone away with a center exit since the piping is shorter in length. You'll also have to figure out a way to block the cutout in the rear bumper used by the original exhaust system. You can make a snap in plug or people sometimes fill it with a rear fog lamp or auxiliary reverse lamp.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think a teardrop muffler style would be really cool and different in the miata realm. Trying to find a picture..

Heres one on a s2k and I saw another one on a 240sx at a drift event.

I also agree with freedomgli, a RS2 replica would be another great option that seems to be popular.

Daym that looks bad ass.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would really like to see an exhaust like the one JDMaflac posted. That looks perfect to me, including the tip.

I like the 2-piece idea that Freedomgli has so that you could choose a resonated or non resonated mid pipe (how bout a mid pipe that connects directly to the header with no cat). With this design you should also be able to choose between a center exit or traditional. A 2-piece design will also help with shipping.

I'd like the joint to be a slip fit to save weight.

Can't wait to see what you come up with Jimmy. See ya this weekend.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
That's not a teardrop muffler, that's just a turned down tip, this is a teardrop

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0209tur_exhuast31_zoom.jpg

My idea of the perfect exhaust would be 60mm, center exit or stock exit, 1 resonator, no muffler but a silencer is included, and the tip expands from 60mm to 70mm like a cone.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
jimmy,

I'd prefer an N1 can style, or something "tipless" Like the RSR as I'm looking for something That's relatively lightweight, unique and of course makes good power without breaking the bank. Currently, there's nothing like that on the market.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Jimmy, you should come to one of our local meetings, there are at least 3 guys with custom made exhausts, and everyone else has every other style on the market, im sure you could weigh the pros and cons better by hearing and "seeing" what people like about their current exhaust.

There is one NB in our club that has a Left side exit with HKS Turbo muffler poking out back, another custom in our club is a guy with a NA that made his own center exit, both are really cool and original in their own way.

I personally would like a Titanium version, like on the JoyFast car, center exit dual muffler would be dead sexy, maybe you could have JoyFast make them for you? Make sure your catback has a bunghole for the O2 sensor for us guys with OBDII cars. \(^_^)/

JoyFast Website
http://joyfast.com/

Phatty

·
Mufasa in Training
32,617 Posts
Wow...one more thing I need to buy from Jimmy...can you just stop it already :lol:

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Jimmy,

If it works well with your header and can be packaged with a mid-pipe (and maybe a cat for those of us who want/need 'em), I'd be tickled.

Your promise of a lightweight system already has my interest. If it turns out to not have the angry hornets' nest sound common in this area and looks decent enough, I think I'd be on it in a second or three.

Tips? Finish? Diameter?
I'm a fan of the turndown exit, would prefer fewer bends, stock mount & exit points, 2.25"-2.5" would be great...

I'd just be interested to see what you come up with, frankly. :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
One more thing for the center exit exhaust... could you make something that would clear a trailer hitch for the people who have to tote around their R-comps. :?:

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
My opinions:

Dislikes:
-Center exits, but seems a lot of people like them
-Turndowns

-2 piece design
-Lightweight is always good

Wants:
-Single outlet
-Straight cut tip, no roll, no weird flare, 3" straight pipe polished

Undecided:
-Angled muffler

Jimmy,Your promise of a lightweight system already has my interest. If it turns out to not have the angry hornets' nest sound common in this area and looks decent enough, I think I'd be on it in a second or three.
From what I've heard... with the limited Roadsters in my area... I'm only basing off of sound clips I heard online... the only sound I really liked was that of a Magnaflow muffler. Sounds "beefy" (I can't think of any other word lol) but not Honda-ish/farty/hornet's nest.

I don't mind the hornet's nest too much, if it's not my car. :lol:

1 - 20 of 146 Posts