ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night 11/17/06 I took my car out to Orlando Speed World to see what my car would do with the new AEM P&P with the stock internals. I was hoping to get into the 13's, the car felt great on the burnout and then on the launch the aftermarket clutch blew(a brand that I do not carry). When my co-driver for solo2/Autox this year drove the car when it had 130 RWHP he said that my car launched harder than his 280 RWHP Twin Screw Miata. With 130 RWHP we did a 14.1 1/4. Now the car has about 150 RWHP and obviously launches harder. The clutch that blew held up even when I had a Roots Supercharger with 8 PSI & 12 PSI. So with stock internals & a Plug & Play with IRTB's that is tuned I would recommend a Clutch upgrade. I will be going with either a Exedy, ACT, or Spec with our FujiRacing 7.2 Lb. Flywheel. After I put the car on the trailer a forum member came over and wanted to see & hear the car. Good news is that the engine is healthy. I would have to honestly say I have never been so happy seeing a car break because of the reason why it broke.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peter-I was really glad that it was the clutch(weakest Link). I got it on video during the burnout, and was reviewing it and hopefully(time permitting) I'll try to attach it for viewing. It's a totally different car since Bryan,Kyle & Chris drove it back in July. Now you know why I am a big fan of the F-Con and FREEDOM. Now it looks like the AEM is capable. Some one that knows how to tune those will definitely increase low-midrange torque.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
What a relief it was only the clutch. I think everybody was expecting to read the engine blew up. I'm still amazed at how high you can redline on stock internals.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a relief it was only the clutch. I think everybody was expecting to read the engine blew up. I'm still amazed at how high you can redline on stock internals.
Freedomgli-With the FREEDOM Redline was set at 8200 RPM's. With the AEM we set it at 7500 RPM's. I took a big chance with valve float with the FREEDOM. Once we do cams we will set the Redline around 9000 and go with stiffer valve springs.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I'm thankful you're willing to do all the engine development work us so we don't have to determine on our own what a reasonable redline is. I'm headed to Orlando today and I'll be there all week visiting friends and family. Is your shop open next week? Maybe I'll stop by to say hi. Also, I understand there is a Miata meet the day before Thanksgiving near Tampa. I'm going to meet up with Tim and Randy there. You should consider attending.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gotta admit, my heart skipped a beat at the subj line. Sigh of a relief it was the clutch and not IRTBS or other internals.

Jimmy, I have the FR LFW and Exedy stage one clutch. Should I be worried about the clutch and Elyas's IRTBs?

Most of all, happy to hear no one was hurt and damage done is not as bad as I had first imagined!

Best wishes, Jimmy.

FH

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
I'm thankful you're willing to do all the engine development work us so we don't have to determine on our own what a reasonable redline is. I'm headed to Orlando today and I'll be there all week visiting friends and family. Is your shop open next week? Maybe I'll stop by to say hi. Also, I understand there is a Miata meet the day before Thanksgiving near Tampa. I'm going to meet up with Tim and Randy there. You should consider attending.
you gonna be there after Turkey Day? I'm gonna be visiting Jimmy to see what he can figure out about my car not runnin quite right.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
When are you coming down, Foo?

You gotta come visit Randy and me over here in Tampa.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
hey jimmy how do you pass emissions? does the aem ecu interfer w/ obII sensor since you are using 99 engine?

i

·
Registered
482 Posts
Jimmy - I'm so glad to hear it was only the clutch. I really look forward to hearing your updates on the car. I can't imagine that car being any faster, but if you bring it back to MATG XI I will definately look forward to see it again.

I have two more mod's to do before I start looking for more power... and once they are done, I will be knocking on your door :)

- Kyle - Enjoy your thanksgiving man! Bring us back lots of picture. I may be in your neck of the woods on business around 11 Dec.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Jimmy,

How are you launching the car? Do you rev it high then dump the clutch? Judging by the vid on your site, it looks like you rev high. I'm not a straight liner so I'm not smart on fastest launch technique. Since I auto-x, my technique is to get the car to last til the end of the season! My pedestrian method is to hold at 4k, then slip the clutch to keep it hooked up and pin the throttle. Usually works fine since there is usually a turn right off the line, and only one more shift into 2nd.

Thanks for showing no mercy to your car. That is the only way to truly test gear. Run it till it breaks, then figure out why it broke! Are you looking for an aluminum PP for less weight?

Bruce

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
freedomgli-Give me a call when you get a chance and maybe we can hook up. I am using the '95 ECU connector for the AEM on the '99 motor. I am launching the car at over 7K. For autox at about 2K-3K. I have a 4 pad solid disc that I will be putting in the car.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts