ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you are new to this forum and I will break down what we have done in the last 2 years with our IRTB Miata. The internals remain stock with just bolt ons with a 4-2-1 header. Car weight is about 2000 lbs. w/ a 200 pound driver. Jan. 05 with the 1995 Motor/IRTB/FREEDOM ECU (8200 RPM) and 125 RWHP we did a 14.5 1/4 mile. Earlier this year with a 1999 Motor/IRTB/FREEDOM ECU (8200) and 130-135 RWHP we did a 14.1 1/4 mile. Last night with the 1999 Motor/IRTB/AEM ECU (7500 RPM Redline) and about 150 RWHP we did a 14.0 1/4 mile @ 94.67 MPH on the first pass. The car is faster now with a 60' of 1.8 sec. and we broke 9 seconds in the 1/8 (8.9 sec.). I do have video footage and you can see that we were hitting the rev limiter down the track which I believe was the difference of not hitting 13's. Now we will set the RPM for 8500. Outside Temp. was about 60-65.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
thats awesome! Its definitely encouraging as I build an N/A engine with a goal of 140-150 hp on stock ecu, and more w/standalone/irtb later. I just dont see how youre doing it!?!? Cars with much more power do not go that fast.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
What made you switch from the Freedom ECU to the AEM ECU? That's a huge jump in hp 15hp) just from a switch in ECU!

But nice results nonetheless- it would be pretty unbelieveable if it didn't come from a reliable source like you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's awesome news, Jimmy. Sincere congrats to you and the FujiRacing team. You all give us IRTB lovers, something to be proud of - besides the size of our Airhorns!

I look forward to seeing the Vid!

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
I went to Jimmy's house today and I saw the video of the run!

WHOA!! FIRE came out of the tailpipe upon launch!!

He'll get the video up soon, I think.

He's running DOT slicks, not even RACING slicks!

Incredible!

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Wow!
Possible 13's with 150rwhp? I guess this proves my point (in an argument on another forum) that throttle response is vital to quarter mile times, not just power.

Jimmy, I hope to be ordering IRTBs from you soon. News like this makes me want them more and more....and I don't even care much for drag racing...lol

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Im not trying to sound like an ass, and i believe you that your time slip said that, but there is something else to it. I understand and respect the throttle response and power output of ITB's but a 14.0 is not accurate. I think it was a "fast" track. You pulled the same times as a 200hp miata should with 50 less horsepower, and thats to much to make up for "better throttle response". I think it was a mixture of a fast track, your tires, your car is geared for the 1/4 mile to perfection, you are an amazing driver, how light the car is, and maybe some other things. Locally we have Speedworld and Firebird, I ran a 14.0 at speedworld, and a 13.7 at Firebird (no elevation change). It could be that i was driving better at Firebird, but not .3 seconds faster. Maybe Its becuase im a ITB'd Miata virgin but i realy think if we were next to each other on the street I would hand you your A$$. (Dont take that personally)

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Wow, such nice wording.
There are a number of factors to making a car faster and whatnot in the qtr mile, but a "fast track" is doubtful if they ran at the place as before....which is likely for accurate times and figures.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im not trying to sound like an ass, and i believe you that your time slip said that, but there is something else to it. I understand and respect the throttle response and power output of ITB's but a 14.0 is not accurate. I think it was a "fast" track. You pulled the same times as a 200hp miata should with 50 less horsepower, and thats to much to make up for "better throttle response". I think it was a mixture of a fast track, your tires, your car is geared for the 1/4 mile to perfection, you are an amazing driver, how light the car is, and maybe some other things. Locally we have Speedworld and Firebird, I ran a 14.0 at speedworld, and a 13.7 at Firebird (no elevation change). It could be that i was driving better at Firebird, but not .3 seconds faster. Maybe Its becuase im a ITB'd Miata virgin but i realy think if we were next to each other on the street I would hand you your A$$. (Dont take that personally)
I understand where you're coming from. A few years back all I heard was that you cannot get any performance gains with IRTB's on stock internals. That myth has been crushed because we are doing it. Before IRTB's I had a 8 PSI SC on this very same car. I lined up against a 230RWHP Turbo Miata(owner claims 0-60 in high 4's) at a SCCA pro-solo with a Drag race start side by side up to 60 MPH. On all four runs the SC had a 1/2-1 car length advantge. I was watching the other car and not even looking at the turn ahead so I know. Even when his Turbo kicked in he didn't gain anything. The 8 PSI SC and that Turbo car cannot even come close to my IRTB car up to 60 MPH. Now take my good friend Bob Palmblads 275 RWHP Twin Screw SC that did a 12.7 1/4 mile. It would be very hard for his car to beat me up to 60 MPH. He's got three problems, Throttle Volume, Wheel Spin and Inconsistent Launches(Volumetric efficiency.) That is why when he co-drove with me earlier this year he says that my 130 RWHP at the time launches harder than his 275 RWHP car.On the top end he's got me but if there are any turns involved he's got problems. I've driven that car in competition and worked on it so I know first hand. ORLANDO SPEEDWORLD is a slow track according to the professional drag racer's, but I do not use that as an excuse. I stand by my time even if it is cosidered a slow track. My car is a slalom car and not a drag race car so you can throw the gearing argument out. The rear is a 4.30 CSP autox legal with 660 lb. spring in the front-325 Rear. Header is 4-2-1 for low end with a 2" catback. The car is not built for the 1/4 or top end. Now take my car to Deals Gap and drive it and you'll understand. I can launch from as low as 2000 and we will set the redline @ over 8500 RPM's. Even on 13 inch wheels I do not have to make an extra shift up to 60 MPH. A FI car can launch from 2000 RPM's but I know that boost has to build then you brake and it has to build up again and so forth. People that know me know that I am still abig fan of FI but IRTB's cannot be ignored.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would have to say that wheelspin is a very hughe factor. Jimmys light car with his good driving and his dot slicks are a recipie for a wonderful launch. with the responsive powa from the irtb thrown in you have somthing great. I still think a car with 50 more hp and the same weight and tires would kill the E.T. but only provided the driver knew how to launch w/o excessive wheelspin or bogging.

just because you have a boosted car doesn't mean it has to be responseless. I think if someone put the time into a FI car to make in balanced and responsive instead of big numbers then we wouldn't see them getting pwned so much. Jimmy has proven his abilities at building fast cars. it isnt just that irtbs are good, but it is balance

150 hp on stock internals is amazing. I am sold on irtbs but I hope to have a boosted irtb setup some day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts