ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was installing AWR 70A motor mounts to my BP5A swap, I only thought it appropriate to change the differential bushings as well. I ordered a set of Garage Star delrin diff bushings and went to town removing the stock ones. A little heat and a few whacks of a chisel and they were out. I froze the delrin overnight, but found that was really unnecessary, as the bushings slid in and out even after installation.

After raising the diff back up, I reinstalled the lower plates as directed, but even after being torqued to as far as my 3' breaker bar could go, the rubber fingers still were about 0.5" away from the bottom of the diff. Try as I might, I could not tighten the bolts down far enough to contact the diff.

After driving the car this way for a few days, I noticed the differential clunks and shudders a lot. I got under the car and checked the diff only to find that a pry bar can move the diff up and down about 0.5", the free travel between the diff case and the lower mount cap rubber.

I have since tried to contact Garage Star and gotten no response, and would not buy these again as they do not fit and apparently no product support.

I have ordered another set of bushings from another company and hopefully have better results.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
That sucks! :( I can't say i have read too many people installing them but i doubt Ken would keep making them if they didn't sell. :dunno: Best (?) case scenario you got a flawed set. When/if you hear back from Ken maybe he can provide measurement specs to check yours against. How long has it been since you emailed Ken? I know most companies have a pretty hectic schedule at the end of the year so he might be stretched thin.

·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks! :( I can't say i have read too many people installing them but i doubt Ken would keep making them if they didn't sell. :dunno: Best (?) case scenario you got a flawed set. When/if you hear back from Ken maybe he can provide measurement specs to check yours against. How long has it been since you emailed Ken? I know most companies have a pretty hectic schedule at the end of the year so he might be stretched thin.
A day or two since I emailed. I tried calling but couldn't get through to anyone.

I just need to get this figured out since the car is leaving to get some fab work done in a week or two and it needs to be sorted.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
have you tried contacting him through FB? He answers fairly quickly on there. BTW what bushings did you end up ordering?

·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you tried contacting him through FB? He answers fairly quickly on there. BTW what bushings did you end up ordering?
What do you mean? They only offer one set of bushings for the differential.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I'm really sorry. I didn't see this till just now. I haven't gotten a email about it. I'll have to check my spam folder on the shop computer. We also have a direct number which is forwarded to my cell after hours. 916-585-3137. You can call me now and I'll answer it.

Ken

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Gotcha, sorry. Long day.

I ordered the old stand buy of energy poly bushings. I had no trouble with them on my MSM, plus through my store they are $36 for the set.
damn that's cheap. :hello kitty:

·
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm really sorry. I didn't see this till just now. I haven't gotten a email about it. I'll have to check my spam folder on the shop computer. We also have a direct number which is forwarded to my cell after hours. 916-585-3137. You can call me now and I'll answer it.

Ken
I will give you a call tomorrow, thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts