ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Murse Magnet
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was part of the group buy for these door bushings and I received them today. First impressions with loosely fitting them to the door cups by hand is that they are a perfect fit on the cups. So I removed the original ones and swapped these in. They were installed initially loosely with the door closed about 10 times or so to seat it in the right spot. I tightened them some more and I lightly sanded them with some spare sand paper I had. All in all install was pretty easy. My only complaint with them is that the doors do not close quite as easily as before but I imagine over time they will be better.

First impressions driving on some fun backroads is that there are significantly fewer rattles. To the point where I can not believe that it really worked. Seriously, the car feels about 15 years newer. It doesn't have that miata charm of random rattles. Speakers sounded marginally better but better none the less. Performance was marginally better. The door does move less up and down getting in and out of my drive way but I don't think that performance is where this piece shines. It really did reduce my rattles to the point where I am in awe. The extra difficulty in closing the door is easily masked by the reductions of rattles. Did I mention the car has fewer rattles. So do yourself a favor and go buy these. Even if you think your car doesn't have that many rattles, you need to go buy these.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Your door jam is so clean

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
*DAMIT* I really do not want to get in trouble with the $wife about buying more toys for my car. If I get these, I might as well get the fender braces too... and why not throw in the frame rails... ~sigh~ miata-life is hard =)

In all seriousness, I'm glad that they are as awesome as expected.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Andy: Would it be presumptuous to think it is all right with you for others to 'piggyback' your review thread with their review of the GarageStar bushings? If not just ask a moderator to delete my post and i will have my answer. Thanks for the review! Should have my set in by this Friday, hopefully. :)

·
Murse Magnet
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure. People can piggyback. In fact I would prefer that than having 10 other threads for the same product / topic.

·
Murse Magnet
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They were almost as good as boobs, but the effectiveness of these will last many years longer. These bushings will put out much longer than anyone I know but your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Year/trim: 1997/M Edition
Suspension/braces:
-Fat Cat Motorsports Elite 2040 Coilovers 7" 375lbs F/7" 325lbs R
-Racing Beat 1.125" front tubular sway bar
-Racing Beat front sway bar blocks
-949 Racing adj. end links
-Flyin Miata frame rails
-Flyin Miata butterfly brace
-949 Racing rear subframe brace
-GarageStar fender braces
-Beatrush PPF brace
Wheels/tires:
-15x8 Konig Flatout machined finish(12.4lbs) w/ 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus RS-3's gen. II

Installation: Remove old rubber door bushings/stops and install new ones, really it is that easy. I did as others and left them just loose enough to shut the door a few times and then tightened. Unlike others i had very little cup to bushing contact/interference so i actually readjusted them so that when opening them you had to pull ever so slightly. You can see contact areas on the derlin and cups but nothing had to be sanded at all.

Observations: Doors now close with a nice solid thud with no perceived play. I took it for a quick trip on both city streets and highway and made a conscious effort to go over irregularities(pot holes, train tracks, manhole covers, etc) i normally try to avoid. The car just feels more solid no matter what the road conditions, where as before there would be perceived flexing/movement and noise from the doors. The few noticeable chassis noises and creaks that were present before are essentially gone and when the car hits a bump/irregularity it feels like the car is now working as one unit instead of several clumsily attempting to do so.

Overall Impression: I'm very satisfied with the results and think they are definitely worth the relatively small amount of money they cost! As others have pointed out there are other dedicated chassis braces that will yield more/better rigidity but for all intents and purposes that i feel these bushings are meant to accomplish, well i don't think you can find a better option/alternative!

·
Supporting Member
1,763 Posts
Just Bought some because I keep seeing these great reviews.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Wait so did you or did not touch a boob?

·
Murse Magnet
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 41 Posts