ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I had my Miata up on 4 jack stands and most of the interior out... I installed a set of these over the weekend

First my recommendations...

This may sound kinda dumb... but make sure that the car is at least as far off of the ground as it takes to fit your drill and bit under
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES
Don't waste your time with a cordless drill
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES
Use a 5/16" drill bit for cutting METAL and keep it oiled... I bought 1 specifically for this install for about $8
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES
Make sure that they are installed as far forward as physically possible (more on this later)

Now for my complaints...

First... one bolt hole on each side was under the cross brace under the front of the seats... good luck getting a bolt into there.... I used a LARGE step-drill bit to create an access hole
Second... the holes in the side of the rails did not line up with the factory holes to reattach the fuel/brake line brackets... I drilled new holes in the factory rail and used threaded inserts to reattach the brackets
Third... the furthest rear bolt holes barely fit before where the floor meets the rear wall... this is why you need to be sure and install them as far forward as possible

I have the tools and supplies to overcome these simple issues... but most people do not

Over all... I am happy with my purchase... but it was more work than anticipated

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just a heads up guys. over the pat weekend we sold out on our lest set of 15 frame rails. Version 2 will be released soon. We will also have the add-on available with version 2.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Frame rails are back in stock and are moving fast. We made a change to the side hole. We made it oval to make it easier to reuse the factory fuel line bracket and moved the mounting hole forward so it would be under the seat rail mount. We are waiting on the add-on part to get back from the machine shop still.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
hmmm I'm really considering a set of these. I've been holding off because I already have Boss Frog fender braces, a Mickey Thompson front lower chassis brace, and a Racing Beat rear lower chassis brace.

I guess my main concern would be weight effectiveness and positive feedback. So can anyone who's had these installed give some specific feedback?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Uh yeah.... thanks for that detailed feedback.

howang.... do you have other bracing or just the frame rails alone?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Like Erik said. Mild steel will rust and rust will destroy frame rails over time. I actually have a picture of mild steel frame rails that split at the bends. With one scrape over a speed bump there goes that powder coating.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts