ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought one and would not recommend using it. If you notice how the tie downs are used, the main support brackets mounted to the rear fender/trunk lip will bend and in my opinion will eventually fail.

It worked for the one round trip I took from Houston to Hallett but it made me cringe how flimsy the support bracket becomes after ratcheting the tie downs. Light tension starts bending them where they hit the trunk, and snug tension will bend them to the point they hit the bolts to the square tubing, and then the main supports will start bending there.

I think G.S. tried to fix this by adding some stiffening doublers where the square tubing meats the main support, but I still have no confidence in the design.

Another thing to add is this adds (4 x ~30lbs wheel and tire) ~120lbs over the rear wheels, not including whatever you have in the trunk. This may not have been the root cause but it probably didn't help, but my rear hub had some play shortly after the trip and had to be replaced.

Invest your money on a hitch and tire trailer. That's what I eventually did and it makes packing/unpacking so much easier than trying to stuff a bunch of stuff into a small car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like not many use this. Tikiman12 detailed the install on his build thread.

I guess most people prefer a trailer for ease of packing/unpacking at events. Or pack 3 wheels in from passenger seat an one in trunk. I haven't tried packing them into seat area, but I couldn't get one of my 225/45/15's to fit in the trunk. MiataRoadster advertises a tire rack for one the trunk, but that item is discontinued.

what to do, what to do...

·
Registered
414 Posts
There is a hitch based tire rack out there. It's better than pulling a trailer in that you don't have to maintain lower speed limit and worry about backing up, etc. On the other hand you are not bringing anything extra besides wheels on that thing, unlike with trailer where you can put tools, gas, and more.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There is a hitch based tire rack out there. It's better than pulling a trailer in that you don't have to maintain lower speed limit and worry about backing up, etc. On the other hand you are not bringing anything extra besides wheels on that thing, unlike with trailer where you can put tools, gas, and more.
Look up: Curt Hitch - tire tail

Comes with both the hitch and the rack attachment. Wheels are held in place with giant washers and a locking pin. The whole thing bolts into factory holes with four bolts.

I own one and have no problems with rigidity. In fact, no problems... ever.

·
Registered
634 Posts
In fact, no problems... ever.
I really like this solution but it looks like the people behind you might disagree with you...any shots of what braking visibility is like with this on? Its hard to tell based on the angle but I don't think I'd use that without mounting an extra brake light.

Also obstructing the license plate like that is definitely a no-no and will get you pulled over.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I really like this solution but it looks like the people behind you might disagree with you...any shots of what braking visibility is like with this on? Its hard to tell based on the angle but I'm not sure I'd use that without mounting an extra brake light.

Also obstructing the license plate like that is definitely a no-no and will get you pulled over.
All valid observations but none of that has ever mattered to me, nor have I ever seen or heard or read of anybody having those types of (theoretical) problems. The License plate can be moved. This product is a little over 14 years old and DOT approved I might add.

More conservative folks might worry unnecessarily so if it bothers you, I understand - this might not be for you. I simply posted up because Yuki mentioned this product and I have it. Besides stacking tires in the car, there isnt a more stable less expensive solution out there that I know of.

·
Registered
634 Posts
All valid observations but none of that has ever mattered to me, nor have I ever seen or heard or read of anybody having those types of (theoretical) problems. The License plate can be moved. This product is a little over 14 years old and DOT approved I might add.

More conservative folks might worry unnecessarily so if it bothers you, I understand - this might not be for you. I simply posted up because Yuki mentioned this product and I have it. Besides stacking tires in the car, there isnt a more stable less expensive solution out there that I know of.
No worries man, I'm glad you posted it. Looks stable. I'd be likely to use such a setup in the future if I was using race tires. I just wanted to point out potential drawbacks. They aren't even necessary critical, as you said the plate can be moved and one could add a temporary 4th brake light. Plate could go on the rollbar or on a towhook. Brake light can also go on the roll bar or maybe even a suction cup mounted one could go on the trunk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts