ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed on some cars, mostly high-performance and luxury cars, that the gas pedal hinges from the floor rather than floating on a suspended arm under the dash. Why some cars have one over the other, I have no clue, but I have grown to like to look and overall driving feel from base-hinged gas pedals.

Now, have you ever driven an Acura TSX? It is supposed to be a revised Honda Accord. In the Accord, the pedal is suspended as in a Miata, however, the TSX has a base-hinged gas pedal. The moving parts are all the same, if you look closley. The difference is, on the Accord, Honda simply puts the cover on the hanging arm...like in a Miata. In the TSX, Acura fixes a hinged plastic pedal to the floor; when depressed, it pushes the hanging arm the Accord has.

How difficult, do you think, would it be to retrofit the Acura TSX pedal hinged-base pedal in a NA Miata?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know this picture isn't too much help, but you can somewhat see the base where it hinges. Behind is a floating arm, like in a Miata.

Attachments

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
I guess it's basically acting like the sole of your shoe, hinged on the floor pushing against that floating arm.

Interesting.... :-k

Maybe it's something that could be developed for the miata?

·
Registered
552 Posts
isn't it harder to push down on the base mounted pedals. thats how it is on my beater 89 volvo. the pedal feel is dull to me.. :mrgreen: probably more 2 do with it being a volvo than anything else :lol:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,623 Posts
I'd suspect it's impossible because you'd have to get the geometry of the pedal accuation exactly right, but working in the opposite direction. You'd also lose a lot of foot room trying it...

·
Registered
489 Posts
It would be easier just to buy an entire Tilton set-up like this...

Attachments

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
seems to be the floor mounted pedals are more european than american/japanese. The TSX was designed with a "european feel" hence in japan the Accord Euro R.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly right, the pedal was designed for more Euro spec cars. The TSX and non US Accords had this base-hinged pedal. What I have observed is that many major performance car producers use such a design. Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini all do so. I happen to like the feel of the pedal. I may just try this as an experiment, and let you all know how it works out.
Relative to loosing foot room, not really. The only difference will be that the pedal extends all the way to the floor rather than floating above; not much of a loss...at least in terms of space lost.
Now, as far as comparing the ease of installation to a Race Pedal Box. I don't think so! As far as this pedal is concerned, the hardest part should be tapping two holes through the carpet to fix the bottom. It will be easilly alligned too, relative to the existing Miata pedal; I can also measure the angle of the pedal in a TSX. After mounting the base, I am near done. In the hanging arm, I can remove the foot pad on the Miata and retrofit the parts that sit behind the pedal in the TSX. I am not even sure the pedal and the arm are actually connected in the TSX. In the TSX there is a rotating wheel on the end that sits behind the pedal. When the pedal is pressed, the wheel turns due to the fact the pedal is changing angles, and the arm is pressed, activating the throttle. Does this make sense?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,623 Posts
If you figure out how to do it without losing (or, rather, gaining) footroom, I'd buy it. I find that if the pedals were where the front end of the floorpan is now, I'd fit perfectly. Not so for your average Japanese driver, however :(

·
Registered
971 Posts
My '71 Datsun 510 had a bottom hinged plastic pedal. I hated it!
Since it was plastic, it flexed. During enthusiastic driving, it would sometimes slip off the arm. Also in a few years of ownership I had to replace it several times due to the hinge area (just thin plastic) breaking. The pedal was not connected to the arm.
Gotta love the cheap Japanese cars of the 70s!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I seem to think it will work out nicely, if you favor the base-hinged pedal. As far as dependability or reliability, I think it will be fine. Having driven a new TSX and felt the pedal, I can confirm it is very solid and smooth functioning pedal that appears to be made very well. When I get to the interior portion of my project, I will give it a try. Thanks for the feedback. I will let you all know how it goes.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tt may as it will offer greater surface area, both in height and width. My plan after installation is to order a set of custom aluminum pedals from http://www.ultimatepedals.com/. They offer a variety of options in texture, finish and logos. Also, they make pedals with extentions for better heel-toe action! I will order the Brake, Clutch and Dead Pedal for a Miata, http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=108_185 and a Gas Pedal for a TSX, http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=2049. I honestly believe this will work and look sweet!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The gas petal in my 74 BMW 2002tii hinged from the floor like that. Actualy all the petals came out of the floor.

That car was very easy to heal-toe with. However, the gas petal was held to the floor with a rubber ball and socket arangement and it came out all the time. After a while I got real good at poping it back in with my foot while driving.

It was real easy to heal toe in that car, however the stock miata arangement is even better.

I feel like I have beter control with the gas hinged from above, because it has greater travel at the bottom.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
my 914 had floor mounted pedals, I dug it. that being said; this seem like a mod purely to be different.

kevin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts