ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its a 94 miata w/155k on the meter.it makes squeaking noise at lower speeds and squeaking pulses does increase with speed. the speedo needle also fluctuate/float as according to speed. the gauge needle jumps on occasion.particularly of the rpm gauge. maybe its just the age of the car's gauge. is there any common cure? or is this an indication that the gauge will eventually fail?

if it does annoy me enough to take a look... where should i start? could it even be a speed sensor? and for the squeaking?... ah hell...any advise will do. damn old miata's couldn't be more of a pain.---could i interest someone in selling their lower mileage gauge? hehehe, j/k.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
99% chance of the problem being the speedo cable. You can either fix it with some grease (doesn't always work) or you can replace it. It's not very expensive. I think I got my replacement one for $20.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the suggestion is to pull the speed sensor from the tranny right? and while i'm at it, check the wiring and confirm its bad condition. if corrosions and such...but the squeaking noise at the gauge itself?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do you have aftermarket gauge faces? Could be a needle was pushed too far in.
If not most likely cable.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks... that what i suspected during fluid change. the problem must be from all those crud buidup around the underside...i steam cleaned the car but am still sure something must be corroded given the mileage of the car.
man...great deal for the car...but minor annoying fixes to be made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts