ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those that replied to 1 of my previous thread, and have book HOW TO MAKE YOUR CAR HANDLE. nowhere in pg 150 has any tips on adjustable sway bar and either outer hole or inner is soft/hard. i just recently used the inner adjustment hole and here's my result...less roll and hard/non oversteer like i wanted...wtf? it just sticks. on outer setting it was soft, tipped thru corners and has gradual oversteer that i can catch.

4 those that has the book. i used 2 example calculations. assume there's 2 points. for sake of argument, here's some fake #s. for long end, A=1 0 C=10 D=1 B=50
and for the inner hole replace A&C with 8.
1) 1568.18.....
2)2589.62.....

so here's the thing. rear roll decreased, not to say i'm not happy at all...but its just odd compared to my honda.i got a fat rear bar, the rear didn't roll whatsoever and it gave instant oversteer. i really question in my mind rather if outer adjustment hole actually has the more mechanical leverage...

ATTN: suspension guys, give me some detailed explaination. i have not yet to be fluent with miata's behavior as i still have some honda stuck in my head. this is your field guys...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
o, its late and i've been trying to make sense of the formula and its #s. even with some numbers... i still can't plug in the formula into what exactly it does in how it affects the sway bar... i f i get weird on my wording, my bad...1/2 braindead here...

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
i really question in my mind rather if outer adjustment hole actually has the more mechanical leverage.
The outer most adjustment holes do provide more mechanical leverage on the bar. The outer holes make the bar feel softer (easier to twist) because there is more mechanical leverage to twist it and thus allows greater body roll. Suspension handling is complex. Tires can lose grip for a variety of reasons (you understand the friction circle concept, slip and slip angle, yes?). Most people's tuning revolve around using as much of the contact patch as possible given their driving type (camber, wheel/tire width, inflation pressure, roll stiffness) and keeping the tire planted to the ground where it can grip (spring, compression, rebound rates).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i totally missed the pg that explained that. but the basic concept i already knew. i guess i was just expecting something different. i can see now just the logics in my head...outer ends, like u said, needs less pounds to twist. and thus explains why it actually felt more stable on the stiffer setting. and the characteristics changed to when speeds increase and loads too. it all makes sense to me now...i was just frustrated and didn't really go for a long enough of a drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts