ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we are nearing the end of my NB rb25 build (standalone shows up thursday) and i want to get back to my roots where it all started and i found a smoking deal on a 94 NA. i already have a 5.3/t56 we are going to be dropping into it. 330lb of torque is going to light up the tires so i've been reading about what my options are for wider rubber. this is going to be a street car and i want it on street tires but traction is of utmost importance. i thought after reading about getting a 245/40/15 would be a good compromise but can't find them.

i plan on going wide body (probably do 40mm blisters front and i like the look of bolted on rears so probably tuckin99 n2). i want maximum grip without messing up the ride height (if possible, gearing i can fix when i get the new diff) but just can't find it. anyone have any good suggestions on a compromise? for the track i know i can run 275 hoosiers on 6uls (probably the rims i'm getting as well) but i still need traction for the street. i want this car to be great all around so i need some suggestions. i haven't picked out anything for this car firmly yet (cept for the motor/trans which was free so that isn't changing) but i figured i'd start from the ground up, literally. custom wheels are an option as well if that helps.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
You can import Avon tires in 245/40/15. They are very soft and would probably be terrible for the street from what I have read. I think the largest tire would be the 235 r888 if you can still find them. The hankook rs3 in 225/45/15 is the most popular wide sticky street tire as I am sure you are aware of.

None of the ~200 treadwear sticky street tires come in wide sizes. The widest I know of would be a 265/45/16 kuhmo XS but it's a tall tire. It could fit with the tuckin99 flares out back given the right size/offset though.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Best easily obtainable street setup would probably be the 15x10 6UL coupled with the Hankook 225/45/15 RS3. The 10" wheel definitely gives the tire a bigger contact patch.

·
Loves V8s. Hates you.
176 Posts
Best easily obtainable street setup would probably be the 15x10 6UL coupled with the Hankook 225/45/15 RS3. The 10" wheel definitely gives the tire a bigger contact patch.
My RS-3 look a little stretched on my 15x9.
I think I'm going to try NT01s next

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
glad to see everyone has thought of the same stuff i have so far. a 225 isn't going to cut it, guess i'm just going to chop and install the n2's and then start measuring. the 265/45/16 is an option but it says it was about 10% off from stock. i can make up for the gearing but i wonder how bad the suspension geometry will be out of whack. hmm......

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
glad to see everyone has thought of the same stuff i have so far. a 225 isn't going to cut it, guess i'm just going to chop and install the n2's and then start measuring. the 265/45/16 is an option but it says it was about 10% off from stock. i can make up for the gearing but i wonder how bad the suspension geometry will be out of whack. hmm......

The largest tire+wheel we can fit on full CA motion of movement is 23". If you are street driven or very stiff sprung, you can get away with maybe 24" (this will depend on the width considerably).

265/45/16 is 25.x"

I am pretty sure they will fit, if you never drive the car. Maybe make it to a dyno. Not trying to be an ass, just want to give you full warning before you do it.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Would goin' with 16s open up alot more tire options or not?
16s have less tire options than 15s, but they do tend to have wider street tires than the 15s.

the issue is he wants to run massive traction on street tires. I think 225 R888s will do just fine, they are actually quite wide for a 225 and the compound is sitcky. But its not the tire I would want to run during heavy rain, they are also expensive, and they probably wear out quickly. Especially if you plan to use full traction from light to light.

If he was planning to do track events, then there is plenty of 245 and 275 hoosiers available.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Toyo makes a 235/50/15 in the r888. Not the best street tire, but it would work. For 16 inch wheels it goes all the way to 255.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The largest tire+wheel we can fit on full CA motion of movement is 23". If you are street driven or very stiff sprung, you can get away with maybe 24" (this will depend on the width considerably).

265/45/16 is 25.x"

I am pretty sure they will fit, if you never drive the car. Maybe make it to a dyno. Not trying to be an ass, just want to give you full warning before you do it.
this is what i was thinking that it probably wouldn't work well if at all.

the car will have 6uls with 275 hoosiers for the track. it will not be a light to light car, i don't street race period. this isn't a daily driven car so when it rains i don't have to worry about taking it anywhere. guess it's just going to get 225's and deal with the spin. sucks because the grip that it could potentially have (not to say you can't pull phenomenal numbers already with 225's) if there were only more street tire options.

honestly i thought about the 335's until i plugged them into the calc and just like everything else it's off by about 7%. the same for the 235/50 toyos. i just want to make sure i've pretty much exhausted my options on the street tire side.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've got N2 flares that I'm looking at putting wheels and tires on and have come to the spot where 17s have become your best option for a nice width and still sticky tire. With a v8 you won't have to worry about the weight quite as much. The problem is that all the tire mans think we all want 195s or smaller for our 15/16 inch wheels. And to fill the N2s you need a bigger tire than a 225 to fill them out properly. I don't know about you but I don't want a stretched 225 on a 10" wheel. 225s are already starting to stretch on 9s and it just would not look right. For what it's worth there is one running 245s on 16x10 and 16x11 wheels with N2s but they are very hard to come by new as Toyo quit making them. And I've asked around and no ones knows of anyone planning to make a street tire bigger than 225 in a 15/16.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
this is what i was thinking that it probably wouldn't work well if at all.

the car will have 6uls with 275 hoosiers for the track. it will not be a light to light car, i don't street race period. this isn't a daily driven car so when it rains i don't have to worry about taking it anywhere. guess it's just going to get 225's and deal with the spin. sucks because the grip that it could potentially have (not to say you can't pull phenomenal numbers already with 225's) if there were only more street tire options.

honestly i thought about the 335's until i plugged them into the calc and just like everything else it's off by about 7%. the same for the 235/50 toyos. i just want to make sure i've pretty much exhausted my options on the street tire side.
If you were on an NB, a nicely chosen 17" for the street would work. but once more, your choices are very limited since the 17" is already pretty damn tall. I mean you would need a 255/30, or 255/35 at the most, to stay within a respectable range of 23".

Since you are using an NA, I don't think the 17" will look good. Up to you really, but at 225/45 R888s, I really think you will be fine in the summer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what good would a 5 lug setup do me? changing to different wheels isn't the problem so unless changing to a 5 lug setup changes tire diameter then it doesn't help. unless i'm missing something there.

driftdevil gets me, i really want the n2 flares but at the same time want to fill out the wheel wells when it is on the street without the poked/stretched look.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you were on an NB, a nicely chosen 17" for the street would work. but once more, your choices are very limited since the 17" is already pretty damn tall. I mean you would need a 255/30, or 255/35 at the most, to stay within a respectable range of 23".

Since you are using an NA, I don't think the 17" will look good. Up to you really, but at 225/45 R888s, I really think you will be fine in the summer.
the max size i wanted to do was 16's, i don't care for the 17 or larger look on NA's. this sucks because i wanted to carry over most of the track setup to the street so that the car feels almost the same all around (or as close as possible). oh well, others with a proper 225 setup have pulled close to 1.4 g's.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
what good would a 5 lug setup do me? changing to different wheels isn't the problem so unless changing to a 5 lug setup changes tire diameter then it doesn't help. unless i'm missing something there.

driftdevil gets me, i really want the n2 flares but at the same time want to fill out the wheel wells when it is on the street without the poked/stretched look.
you could run spacers. or just run slicks on the street lol.

5-lug isn't going to do ****.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts