ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I searched and saw lots of vague answers to how to beat the airbag light..
You can buy the Garage Star piece for $12
Or.. you can do it yourself on the cheap.. Ghetto Star.

The car I'm doing it on is my 94 Miata.

Here's exactly (and all, that you need)
1x 3.3ohm resistor.. it has 2 orange and 2 gold stripes (that's how you tell that it's 3.3ohms, be careful not to mix up gold and yellow, won't be the right resistance).

2x female slide quick disconnectors.

Then what I did was slide each end of the resistor into the female and into one of the sides of the quick disconnectors.. then hammered it flat since the gauge of the resistor's wire is so small. Did it on both sides like so:

Then.. tape up each side and tape it all together like so...

Then locate the airbag pins on your blue clip.

and attach one of your clips to each..

FIN.

eBay Boss hub and avacado
$15 (or $25 shipped if you live in Canada like I do).

+ whateveritcostsyoufortheresistorandclips... I had it already so it cost me nothing..

= a lot less than a "bolt on" hub! Horn works, airbag defeated, no cutting of anything to fit the hub.. all in all.. win win situation IMO.

·
3,857 Posts
just remove the bulp and disconnect the plug from the airbag computer so it won't beep.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just remove the bulp and disconnect the plug from the airbag computer so it won't beep.
now THAT's ghetto - and more work this this is to do. It literally took me 5 minutes to find everything, connect it all, have a glass of water, go outside, stick it in, and check to make sure it works. how long does it take you to remove the cluster and bulb, then find the module to unplug that too? then after all that my passenger side airbag still works and yours doesn't.

wtf is "Ghetto Star"? born in "87"? miatas weren't even available then.. :(

just pull it all out. everything. wiring and all. then you don't have to worry about it anymore.
you're a quick one aren't you.. it's a Garage Star homage.

and by tricking the airbag like this, the passenger side one WILL go off in an accident. By removing the bulb or disconnecting the plug/removing the airbag computer etc., it will not go off.. So - it's your choice. Plus this is all reversible, so when you sell the car, or go back to stock nothing is modified, all straight plug and play.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not to threadjack... But really? a $15 hub? Do people actually use them? I'd be afraid the pot metal would snap in a hard turn...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Used one for years prior to this with zero problems. One car had no power steering so it often got quite the work out.

and NAautoxer - this thread was to show how to trick the airbag light, we all can search and find out the other ways to do it. So thanks for your thoughtful insight, but I'd prefer if you left it out all the same.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are you guys seriously shitting on this thread? I think it's a great mod and I'm glad u did the write up. I also thought the garage star reference was clever. Not sure why these guys are hating.

Thanks for your contribution. Looking forward to more write ups.

+1

thanks for the effort man. Had i not already purchased the garage star one, i would probably go this route or something similar, using solder and shrink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Nice and simple. I'm not sure why so many people are hating on this. It's just a resistor guys! Relax! I'll be heading to radio shack at lunch.

·
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D
224 Posts
^ you are a douche.

neither of those threads are a how-to and who the **** even cares if it's been done before. dude took time to post a thread with a how-to and you're telling him that his idea is stupid and he should remove his whole airbag system.

take a step back and realize how much of an ass you look like

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I searched and saw lots of vague answers to how to beat the airbag light..
Those are those vague answers I was talking about. But thanks, I searched and read those too, but nothing was the same as my write up. I'm helping other people - you aren't so please butt out or I'll report you for trolling the thread.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I can see where NAautoxer is coming from on this, as there is a lot of info out there about this topic already, but props to CBJ for seeing a need for info and taking the time to fill it. This is one of those things that seems like it shouldn't need a step-by-step tutorial (since the key info is already out there), but in reality it might be very helpful to the uninitiated who aren't very comfortable/confident messing with electrical stuff. Everyone's gotta start somewhere and this is probably a good simple project for people who don't mess with wiring very often.

Based on what problems I've seen people run into on other airbag defeat resistor threads, here are some additional tips/info that may be useful to those who are interested in this DIY:

- Because I know that some people don't pay close attention when they read instructions, this step is crucial in success of this mod: "Then.. tape up each side and tape it all together like so..." The two sides of the resistor leads need to be insulated from each other!*

* Unless you have an early/NA6 car...

- ... if you have an early/NA6 car, you may just need to jumper the pins directly with a short loop of wire rather than a resistor.

- If you can't find a 3.3-ohm resistor, you can use THREE 10-ohm resistors twisted together in parallel to achieve ~3.3-ohms.

- 3.3-ohms IS NOT THE SAME as 3.3K-ohms! (and 10-ohms is not the same as 10K-ohms.)

- Soldering the resistor to the connector rather than crimping will give you a more reliable connection. If you don't have any/much experience soldering, this is a great place to start. It should be simple and you don't have to worry too much if you mess it up once or twice.

- Heatshrink will give you a much nicer/cleaner finish on the insulation, if you care about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dude nice one for the write up. I've never found any info on this other than," yeah just run a resistor", which means nothing to me. Thanks for taking the time.

It's funny but we don't get all the hating on these threads on mx5nutz. Seems you US guys hate any thread that's not 100% fresh or unique. Don't understand why they feel the need to comment/troll? Seen it before? Keep scrolling down and ignore. Simples.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I just put heatshrink over my airbag light, problem solved. Didn't feel like buying a 2nd garagestar defeat when I removed my passenger bag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts