ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my Review of the Godspeed Mono SS Coilovers for my 97 Miata. I got these second hand off a local for $550 which is the only reason I sprung for them. I used to have Ohlins DFV's on this car but picked up a 04 MSM and I have since then made that car the serious track car. Having swapped over those and driving on the stock NA suspension, I was getting tired of the floaty grandpa performance.

So here they are out of the box. Not sure if the come pre-assembled or not. These are 16 way shocks and the rates are 10k f 8 kg r (550/450 est).I un-did the previous owners pre-load on the springs and set it to seated +1/4" since these come with no helper springs.

Initially, I set the the dampeners to 8f/4r and took it out for a spin. I was pretty impressed but I think that was because I was so used to the stock suspension. After a couple of days, I noticed the rear end was starting to bounce a lot horribly on city streets with bumps. So I decided to turn it up a lil (10/6).

Later that night, some friends and I went out for drinks but a light rain rolled thru. Upon entering a R/H 90* corner about approx. 5-7mph (what I consider reasonably safe in the wet) with slow/smooth turn input, the rearend violently snapped over, (even with rear swaybar disconnected), but I managed to catch it and bring it back. The car has never done this with the stock suspension on the same tires. strike 2.

After another week, I noticed it started to do it again (rear shock unable to control thr spring rate). I upped it again to 12/8. At this point, I'm thinking to myself that these shocks are either already blown or about to blow. Upon inspection of the rears, no oil visible. After bumping these up again, the rears started to make a creaking noise coming directly from the shock shafts (sounds kind of like creaking rotors from ebrake slipping). Now Im getting a little pissed off with these thinking I should have gone with Ricelands. I drove on my friends 3yo setup and was very pleased. Any who, being fed up, I decided that the rear shocks couldn't handle the 8kg rear springs.

So, I went ahead and bought some Eibach springs. Purchased them off of SummitRacing. bruh!! They are 7inx2.5"x325 (325lb rate) Which have just over 4.4in of travel. that's good because the Mono SS doesn't have but 2.5in of travel before hitting the bumpstops.
Spring link.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-07002500325/overview/

Lets get this **** out of here shall we.

Disassembly:

Now to gain a little bit more travel (will add comfort and keep the car off the stops a bit better) I went ahead and only cut off aprrox 1/4" of the bumpstops.

Reassembled errthang and once again preloaded the springs 1/4". Reinstalled and raised the car up (the threaded shock body) to compensate for the longer spring. (orig 8kg is some rare 6.5" that you cant find online at all even with its weird P/N)

Finally got the ride height set (12 1/8" front 12 5/8" rear) New Springs will settle down another 1/4" after initial install and after 2-3 days of driving.

Now for the drive. shocks set to 10/6 (mind you still the RSB is still disco'd and the car isn't aligned yet, but I don't think the suspension has wondered too far off. I didn't get the car realigned even with the orig stiffer springs either) but yes, the drive. Driving thru the neightborhood, I can already tell the shocks love me. The rear isn't Mexi-bouncing all over and its way more composed overall.

I then ventured off to some roads I travel everyday with sharp 90* bends and sweepers. What the eff??? Its beautiful. The rear is actually planted. It doesn't want to break out except at peak load of the tires but even then, the car is more balanced with a neutral to understeer. Giggity gig gig. This is getting closer to how the MSM feels, JKJK but a lot better than out of the box for sure. Still need to get it aligned, but might have to wait after autox on Apr 26th. I know they will do great.

So, in conclusion, I wasn't very hopeful for these and was seriously disappointed with the settings (spring rates) out of the box. I was looking for a cheap coilover for daily, spirited driving and autox. If you're looking for a budget coilover for the same needs, I WOULD NOT recommend these unless you feel like customizing the spring rates and in that case, you would be in the same pricing range of Bilsteins HDs/GC sleeves with FCM bumpstops or just buy Ricelands as they are more balanced out of the box. I think these coilovers were geared more towards drifter kids and stance kids who like to live on the edge of death with slightly damp roads, in which, I do recommend these to them. I don't consider this setup safe at all in the rain, even with decent rain tires. I also don't think not having my alignment set perfect had anything to do with the adverse handling characteristics of these on the stock settings because the car is now planted, balanced and drives straight when the wheel is let go (jesus takes the wheel). Godspeed, if you're reading this, it was no means to slam your company or your product, however, I highly recommend more research on your product ie, shock dynos, and matching the springs to the dampening. These need softer rates and a greater split between rates, front to rear.

Future posts to come after an event or two. Car will be on fresh Toyo RA1's 225/45R15 on 15x8 6ULs of the events. Shooting for top 10.

·
Administrator
15,183 Posts
Good move on replacing the rears. :)

Do the fronts really have as little travel before coil bind as it looks? That's insane.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the coilovers are still pre-loaded in the pictures.

My car with no rsb does tend to slightly oversteer at high loading and heavy transitions, (curently still on winter wheels and tires; hankook ventus v2 and nb sports) but not at an unsafe level. I plan on purchasing an RB fsb this week, as well as federal 595 evo's for the summer. Interested to see if the fsb and tires bring back neutrality.

I am still happy with these Chinese **** hole death traps overall. May still purchase springs, FRC still not "ideal" based on FCM spread sheet, but want to drive with new set up first obviously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts