ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting a DIY turbo project, what turbo should i try and look for, i was hoping a t3 of some kind to get some good numbers but i dont know which one will do what? i want to get well into the 200+ range with little lag. any info would be great, especially if your running it yourself.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
You could source turbos from DSMs, although they might even be too big for a stock motor in the low 200s.

You might consider one from a Mirage turbo, or one (out of 2) off a 3000GT VR-4

WRX is a bit too big too.

FWIW my car came with a GReddy kit and it's fine for my needs

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Im starting a DIY turbo project, what turbo should i try and look for, i was hoping a t3 of some kind to get some good numbers but i dont know which one will do what? i want to get well into the 200+ range with little lag. any info would be great, especially if your running it yourself.
PM our resident turbo expert, UltimateForce.

http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15496
Thanks, I'll take it from here.

The idea is to match the size motor of the donor car to yours. Because you're only looking for 200 whp, a T3 is a bit of overkill anyway.

List of cars to check first.

Any of the DSM cars: Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, Mistubishi Eclipse. The first gen used a TD05H014B which is a little better than the T25 they used later. It's a little bigger and blows just a bit harder.
Dodge Omni Turbo
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
Lots of older Saabs (be warned, they are known to use really little turbos which will cap you around 200hp)
If you have a 1.6 find a Mazda 323 GTX or Mercury Capri/XR2 because they used the same block as the 1st gen Miata and their turbo manifolds will bolt straight up.

If you REALLY want a T3..

Look under the hood of NEW Saabs, they switched to larger turbos
Ford Thunderbird V6 turbo. The Automatic has a smaller turbo versus the manual, but either would work for your application.
First-gen 300zx single-turbo models had a pretty nice T3 you could get for a song these days..

If you wanted to spend money, look for buying a used turbo from someone on a DSM board or a Supra board, etc. I doubt this even crossed your mind, but avoid Skyline turbos at all costs; the ceramic fins will crack and go into your engine eventually with no warning.

·
Registered
343 Posts
PM our resident turbo expert, UltimateForce.
:lol:

i'd stick with finding a turbo that has an availible manifold match.

better yet, buy a complete kit and save yourself time and money.
I agree.. I have a ton of experience with turbo cars (almost all of my cars have been turbo), and unless you really know what your doing, just buy a kit and be done. I know of a bunch of people who went the "junk yard" route, and were always changing things and were never happy. There's a reason why kits are put together a certain way.

As far as having 200+ hp.. and not having lag, well you need to see Mr. Ball Bearing and get to know him really well ;) I had a greddy turbo on my 1.6 and it was pretty fun for the money, but it didn't really kick till about 4. The Turbo's in my TT 3000GT kick in around 3000RPM depending on if I have my downpipe in or not.

So, honestly, if you have the money, id say get a kit from a known tuner... and if you don't have it and your stuck on the DIY route, do a bunch of research because its really easy to want to turn the boost up just a little more and blow your motor without the correct air/fuel ratio and timing.

If you have a 1.6, honestly, get the greddy kit and all the extras. I was in it around $2,000 and it was really a lot of fun!

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts

Ford Thunderbird V6 turbo. The Automatic has a smaller turbo versus the manual, but either would work for your application.
First-gen 300zx single-turbo models had a pretty nice T3 you could get for a song these days..
Youre a bit confused.

Ford Never made a V6 turbo thunderbird, or a turbo v6 anything that I can remember. The only boosted v6 thunderbird was the supercoupe, and it had an M-90 blower.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
...If you have a 1.6 find a Mazda 323 GTX or Mercury Capri/XR2 because they used the same block as the 1st gen Miata and their turbo manifolds will bolt straight up.
Wrong. It wil interfere w/ the steering shaft. It's been brought up many times on m.net.
actually, it will bolt straight up to the block, but it'll make the motor not fit the car :)

IIRC the SSAUTOCRAP manifold fits T2 housings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well he is half right, and you are half right. The Thunderbird was not a V6 it was a 4 banger and yes it came turbo Charged. It came with a T3 .43 a\r in the automatics and a .63 a\r in the manuel from 83-88, but you really only want to look for 86-87 ..
.....it was not until 89 that the supercharged v6 came.

As for the greddy talk in order to reach 200 hp you would have to stretch the engine past 10 psi which is where the reliabilty issues start poping up cause 10psi is the limit for stock internals. you can do it with really good tuning but its a thin line you know. Second that would be well over 2500 dollars when your done especially with the weak behing manifold and the peace of rat poop down pipe! then spool is not even that great! if i wanted a 14g that bad i could make that kit my self with better products. i wanted something that could reach that high with out the worry.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Well he is half right, and you are half right. The Thunderbird was not a V6 it was a 4 banger and yes it came turbo Charged. It came with a T3 .43 a\r in the automatics and a .63 a\r in the manuel from 83-88, but you really only want to look for 86-87 ..
.....it was not until 89 that the supercharged v6 came.
Actually I am right.. :)

There was a V6 3.8l supercharged thunderbird called the "supercoupe" I can show you the scars on my knuckles from wrenching on them.

and a 2.3l turbo thunderbird "turbocoupe"

Never a v6 turbo thunderbird.

I'd Imagine the t3 from the "turbocoupe" thunderbird might spool a little slow on a miata, but apparently, I should not argue with an "expert".

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

Youre a bit confused.

Ford Never made a V6 turbo thunderbird, or a turbo v6 anything that I can remember. The only boosted v6 thunderbird was the supercoupe, and it had an M-90 blower.
Yes you are correct, turbo 4, super charged 6, N/A 8. My bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...........ok Stealth 5 points, Ultimateforce 3pnts, and i get 1pnts for sounding like a retard (sorry). Now I think your right about the 60 but i think i coul use the 43 but will that get me above 200 hp. And second an enemy of mine bought one (60) for his 3.0 v6 solara. At 6 psi what numbers you think he is looking at?

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
What does it matter? He still drives a Solara.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you want to get nit picky the 4 banger came out of the SVO mustangs back in the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts