ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered these last week after seeing the picture if the red miata they are in and being half the price if the project G splitter decided to go with it. They suck and are cheap. It's a thin piece if plastic and a bag if screws.
They didn't come with instructions so I'm not sure if I should just screw them right into my rockers? Wouldn't that cause them to rust?
Anyone have these? How'd you instal them?
I would not recommend them cause they seem very weak and I'm sure will crack not long after being installed.

http://www.gomiata.com/mazda-miata-jdm-side-skirt-air-splitters-diffusers-1990-1997.html

·
Banned
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ordered some flex seal from the tv commercial for fun/to test , I might spray these side skirts with it to make them stronger, maybe just the underside of them after I test out the spray on some other stuff. Can't hurt I guess.

·
I have all the correct opinions.
10,560 Posts
Many people on this forum have these, myself included. They're ABS plastic and wont crack (easily). The screws are self-tapping, and should be screwed directly into the rocker.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I installed mine a couple of days ago, used textured bumper paint and they are holding up well

·
Registered
212 Posts
It isn't rocket science to put on a side skirt/splitter especially that piece.

You can either bolt it or use 3M tape. It works great, but you will have to re-tape it over time since it will lose it's stickyness from rain and stuff.

Besides, IMO the feed style side skirts let us keep the clean line that the miata has.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Many people on this forum have these, myself included. They're ABS plastic and wont crack (easily). The screws are self-tapping, and should be screwed directly into the rocker.
It isn't rocket science to put on a side skirt/splitter especially that piece.

You can either bolt it or use 3M tape. It works great, but you will have to re-tape it over time since it will lose it's stickyness from rain and stuff.

Besides, IMO the feed style side skirts let us keep the clean line that the miata has.
Love mine, tap in screws work best. They come with enough that it holds just fine. I wouldn't use 3M just cause the possibility of it coming loose over time is there and they're easy to forget about.

·
retardedly functional
606 Posts
i love mine. they are stronger than i expected.

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
If these sucked so bad why would there be tons and tons of people that have these. I have them. They look great.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I've got some of the Feed style fiberglass skirts (which the PlanetMiata skirts have replicated in ABS plastic), and honestly the fiberglass versions are ridiculously flimsy. I haven't seen them in person yet, but I would think that the ABS will actually be quite durable.

As for attaching them, I am strongly against self-tapping screws anywhere, but especially into the rockers. I used 3M moulding tape along the length of the skirt and then a single M6 stainless socket cap screw and locknut at the very end of the rocker where it is exposed in the fender well. A 1/4" bolt and lock nut will do fine too.

P.S. It just rained, so of course the skirts are filthy in this pic. Sorry.

·
Registered
229 Posts
they are nice, i bought them off Ebay,
i love it
i goes to track a lot, so I used the taping screws all the way from front the end :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
How many people are making these nowadays? Are the ones from Gomiata the same as those offered in a groupbuy several times on here?

·
Bleeding Red....& Gold
1,641 Posts
Self tapping screw should be fine IMO. Its not like it gets directly in contact to d road like our front lip on dips.
The only way this is gonna come off if you accidentally step on it or someone intentionally does it.

However, self tapping those rocker is a bitch.

·
10,560 Posts
How many people are making these nowadays? Are the ones from Gomiata the same as those offered in a groupbuy several times on here?
IIRC, Gomiata sources these from Planet Miata.

Self tapping screw should be fine IMO. Its not like it gets directly in contact to d road like our front lip on dips.
The only way this is gonna come off if you accidentally step on it or someone intentionally does it.

However, self tapping those rocker is a bitch.
Drill a small pilot hole. Problem solved.

·
Registered
123 Posts
has anyone noticed theirs getting woobly (bent) mine look like ass after a few days, they look like a wave :(

·
10,560 Posts
install them when its hot out. if you installed them cold, then they'll expand when out in warm weather... and get wavy.

·
Registered
727 Posts
has anyone noticed theirs getting woobly (bent) mine look like ass after a few days, they look like a wave :(
Yes mines did to guess the sun warped it:cry2:?..can anything be done to make them look straight again ? I was thinking of using a heat gun and trying to bend them straight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am going to take them off and put them in the sun for a while

1 - 20 of 48 Posts