ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 91 Miata with the intention of making it a Nationally competetive CSP car. I just needed to find a nationally competetive co-driver.

The car I bought was a little long in the tooth, I knew the motor would have to be pulled and replaced with a 1.8 ITRB'd motor. Well the car I purchased had too many JDM parts on it to even start to think about making it legal under the CSP rules, so here I am wanting to JDM a Roadster.

But...

I started to think about the 1.8l swap and ITRBs anyway. With a 99-00 motor, ITRBs and ECU, I was looking at $5000. I decided to cheap out and hook a brother up.

A buddy of mine had a motor built to the hilt by FM and he overheated the motor at the Gap 2 years ago. He (actually Hector at R*Speed) pulled the motor and dropped in a 1.8. He gave me the built to the hilt motor and I am going to send it back to FM for the rebuild and eventual turbo.

Specs on the motor (before the rebuild)-
Crank knife-edged/lightened (3# lighter than stock)
1mm oversize bores
Carillo rods/Wiseco pistons (9:1) thicker gasket = 8.8:1 cr now (~ 2# lighter than stock for all 4)
ARP studs
Ferrea 1-piece stainless steel valves
constant-radius valve job
head is gasket-matched/bowls polished
new HLAs (twice!)
new valve springs (stock though)
new belts/H2O pump, etc on the front
oil pan drilled/tapped for tulbro oil return while motor was apart
new oil pump
all new gaskets of course

One problem I have is the matched intake manifold is gone to a California hippie and I would like to get it back (yes, you Mr. Woolery).

The best case scenaio for a rebuild is $2000 so I am dangerously close to a 1.8l swap which will give me mre hp than this motor, but the built to the hilt will stand 15+lbs of boost.

Calling Joe to ship the motor to FM, putting the rest of the car on hold (paint, interior, suspension...)

I'll post updates as I get them. All the shipping, rebuilding, installation is being done via email from Iraq and good freinds at R*Speed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine will be until I can afford the turbo. Many, many years from now.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,072 Posts
Problem is...a built turbo motor is very different from its N/A counterpart. The compression ratio is normally 2 or more points lower, which affects your numbers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M2-1028 said:
I don't understand but how are you doing all of this if you are in Iraq??
Car's with a bud in NorCal.
The motor is at R*Speed in Atlanta.
Joe will ship the motor to FM.
Car will get towed to R*Speed in June.
I'll fly to Atlanta on Deals Gap week to pick up the car.
I get a mid-tour leave and will pick up the car then.
Part of the tradition of my deployments are coming home to a garage full of parts I purchased while over here.

The military knows logistics and I have a very supportive wife and a great friend in NorCal.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**UPDATE**
Shipping to FM from ATL and back would have been about 1/3rd of the turbo cost. So I started to look local (to the motor) for the rebuild. On recommendations from R*Speed Joe and Rob Ebersol, the motor is finally at Maloof Racing in Atlanta for the post mortem and rebuild.
If the motor is toast look for some good turbo pistons, Carillo rods and a knife edged and lightened crank in the classifieds. If that is the case I will go with a 99-00 swap and maybe get some BRP whinner power.
Now, I am going with Mazdaspeed engine mounts and a new clutch/flywheel combo. What else should I do (actually have done) while the motor is out? Standard
I may have to borrow a Miata for DG this year. Yeah I'm talking to you 91Eunos!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE 23 OCT

Just surced a block from Tom at The Parts Group~ great guy great prices and service!

The block FM had overbored was overbored too much- you could move the piston inside of the cylinder.

Shipping from Danville Ala to Atlanta Ga was 2x the price of the block!

Now I will find out the price of high quality machine work...just had to have the 93LE interior and a Koyo Radiator and Adjustable end links and Nielex PW switches and Volks :roll:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts