ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are all of you folks out there doing when you put in some sort of bucket seats without obvious headrest speakers? Are you all mainly putting them in your parcels? Shoot some ideas please and pics if you could.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
There is one guy that has custom boxes for speakers that go on the parcel shelf kinda tucked away on the sides. If I can find him you can send him a pm. But he is on here to my knowledge.

In my case I just use shitty stock door speakers. No bass, no amazing sounds, but i can still listen to mah tunes.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah a custom box for the parcel seems like a good move, i wish something like that would pop up on craiglist, just using my door speakers would make me blow my brains out.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You get used to it. And when you're in a car that has decent or really nice audio equipment you appreciate a **** ton more.

Found the guy I was talking about his screen name is 90_mx
Pic of his car for reference. It's super clean, dare I say cleaner in person. I would shoot him a pm, good luck.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,359 Posts
just using my door speakers would make me blow my brains out.
You get used to it.
We're already used to it - when you listen to music through speakers in home audio, it's primarily a 2 channel setup, with the speakers in in front of you. You don't turn around and face away from music at concert, etc, so it won't kill you if you didn't have speakers behind you. If anything speakers on the parcel shelf would sound weird, imo.

Also, convertibles and audio quality don't go together

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
::shrug:: I just removed the headrest speakers from the seats and zip-tied them to the roll bar.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You get used to it. /QUOTE]

We're already used to it - when you listen to music through speakers in home audio, it's primarily a 2 channel setup, with the speakers in in front of you. You don't turn around and face away from music at concert, etc, so it won't kill you if you didn't have speakers behind you. If anything speakers on the parcel shelf would sound weird, imo.

Also, convertibles and audio quality don't go together
Depends on what you find acceptable in your audio and I was reffereing to just car audio. For me the lack of any bass takes away from each and every song. Can I live with it? sure, do I want to upgrade my audio? absolutely. I don't need a top dollar setup or anything just something can can put out the sound decently unlike these paper speaker I have in my doors. The parcel shelf setup doesn't seem to bad if it's excuted correctly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just build your own box. Plenty of people have made their own soundbars.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
If what you are lacking is bass, why the heck do you think that was coming from your teeny tiny headrest speakers?

If you don't have decent speakers in your doors and a good head unit, start there. The stock stuff is awful.

I bet with the right properly powered 6.5" in the doors you would be more than happy. Get a small 2ch amp something around 100x2 RMS, get that peak number **** out of here, and get some speakers that can handle around 120w RMS each. You will have a much louder system than your dumb headrest speakers made you think you had.

Then you won't have to go shove boxes in weird places.

Try something like this amp

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27288_RE-Audio-XT-1600.2V3.html

With this pair of speakers

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34370_Alpine-SPR-60.html

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
While I totally agree a sub would give much more bass, saying you are unhappy with the speaker layout While running 20w speakers in each door powered by 10 watt RMS per channel head unit doesn't make sense.

Unless your a bassaddict, I would wager most people would be pretty happy with 100w RMS speakers in each door. Powering wimpy speakers with just the head unit then adding bass is the ass backwards way of doing things. Thats right up there with neon lights in my book.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Also have to keep in mind if I were to do anything to intense with creating a parcel audio that was visable through the rear windshield then this does of course make you more vulnerable for break ins. I think I just want a settle 6 inch speakers in a custom parcel box with a maybe a small sub in the middle.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Miata mane- what r you currently running? If you arentrunning good gear yet, upgrade what you have. Head unit, 2 channel amp, good high wattage speakers. Probably wouldn't even need anything else. Unless you are looking for car shaking bass.

My last car I had 180rms at 4ohm to each 6.5 component set for all four speakers. Even without a sub the car got LOUD. Then I added 2000watts RMS to two re audio sx12s. I could bounce my iPhone 2" off the roof from it flexing.

In a small car two 6.5" speakers with 100-200 watts RMS at 4ohm each will be louder than you'd like with the top up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I have is an aftermarket CD player and what sounds like (probably is due to being crap) stock speakers all around. I'm really wanting to get a bucket seat therefore that would cost me my drivers seat speakers. I kind of want a parcel unit of some sort if I do this then just changing all the speakers would be nice. I dont need loud as bass but this is my daily therefore music is much appreciated.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
You won't miss those headrest speakers with good door speakers powered by an amp. The stock sPeakers are total crap.

That amp with the sPeakers I linked would do wonders. The type-r alpines are known for their bass too. If you have any friends that work at best buy you can get a good deal on them, sometimes they are on eBay for cheap too. Like $80-90 cheap. That $200 will totally transform your sound system. You won't miss those head rest speakers for a second. Plus it's a heck of a lot easier than riggin a parcel system and you always have the optionto do so later if you still want more.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
You won't miss those headrest speakers with good door speakers powered by an amp. The stock sPeakers are total crap.

That amp with the sPeakers I linked would do wonders. The type-r alpines are known for their bass too. If you have any friends that work at best buy you can get a good deal on them, sometimes they are on eBay for cheap too. Like $80-90 cheap. That $200 will totally transform your sound system. You won't miss those head rest speakers for a second. Plus it's a heck of a lot easier than riggin a parcel system and you always have the optionto do so later if you still want more.
So it would be just the 2 door speakers left correct?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts