ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the Cobra Suzuka into my NA. Fits nicely! No more driving bracing my knee against the door in fast turns! Just need to get the harness in and figure something out with the stock seat belt.

Anyone have a solution for the '95 type seat belt latch on the seat? I need something more flexible that can mount on the car so I can use the stock belt as well as the harness.

Some pictures - follow the link below...
http://www.bmsurvey.com//misc/ebay-images/CobraSuzuka/CobraSuzuka.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
nice ! im digging the cobra seats. how did you mount that bad boy ? looks like you just bolted the side mounted brackets straight down to the floorboard? I'm 6' and with my recaro spg...on stock sliders. my head touches the hardtop when i have my helmet on, i've been looking for a cheap solution for awhile now.

SCott

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
wow thats a really nice seat! I have never been a fan of cobra seats but damn that one looks really good. I see an FIA sticker on the side too! Where did ya get it and for how much if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seat I installed was the regular width model of the Suzuka. I had to work on the front part of the trans tunnel - I changed the contour of it to fit the seat mount. I also fabricated a small mount out of 3/4 square tubing for the front corner nearest the door to level the seat. The rear of the mount sits on the floor. The bottom of the seat is as low as can be mounted - just clearing the rear mounts for the original seat. I am 5-11 and have pleanty of headroom now and excellent lateral support. The seat top clears the roll bar but not by much. I wanted maximum clearance therefore I did not use the sliders. My helmet clears the roof with this seat.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
What size is your waist? How much do you weigh? Does your car still have interior door panels? Did you have to trim anything for them to fit?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What size is your waist? How much do you weigh? Does your car still have interior door panels? Did you have to trim anything for them to fit?
My waist is about 32 inches and I weigh around 175 lbs. The seat fits like a glove. Check out the pictures you can see the door panels are complete and intact and even the door closing pull fits and didn't have to be removed. The door touches the seat 'wing' but only compresses the padding on the door panel and the door is easy to close and latch. I didn't trim anything but I did hammer the trans tunnel some for clearance for the passenger side front corner of the Cobra mount. In that area, I pounded the floor up about 3/4 inch and pounded it in some towards the passenger side of the car. The trans tunnel modification is in the area of the cat on the exhaust system. I did have to trim the cat shield slightly as well.

Now I need to install the sparco 6-point harness and find a used 90-93 seat belt latch and I'll be good to go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
get a 90-93 seat belt.
All you need is the reciever. I verified that it will fit.
Thanks, I am looking for one. Already hit a few classifieds and will continue the search. I'm thinking the stock seat bealt will not work that well with the new seat but is a must for usual street driving. I'm not sure if the policia will have reaction to driving wearing a harness - but I imagine they won't like it at all. Just like trying to drive with a helmet - there must be some problems they see.

·
Registered
971 Posts
get a 90-93 seat belt.
Thanks, I am looking for one. Already hit a few classifieds and will continue the search. I'm thinking the stock seat bealt will not work that well with the new seat but is a must for usual street driving. I'm not sure if the policia will have reaction to driving wearing a harness - but I imagine they won't like it at all. Just like trying to drive with a helmet - there must be some problems they see.
I use the stock belt for street driving. Works fine with mine (a Cobra Monaco). For the receiver, check with any Spec Miata builder, they'll have them around.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,094 Posts
get a 90-93 seat belt.
It honestly depends on your local police, honestly. I used to keep my 90-93 seatbelt reciever bolted in whenever my race seat was in the car just in case I got pulled over (I always prefer my harnesses when it's in). I actually got pulled over once for an unrelated issue, and the policeman (who thought I'd come around a corner too fast) didn't even seem to notice the fact that I had my five points on!

Now, all that said...I do have one warning about wearing harnesses all the time: you're going to regret wearing harnesses the second you get rear-ended. The fact is, properly adjusted harnesses will hold your body in place in the event of an accident. Your head, however, has no such restraint #-o

1 - 12 of 12 Posts