ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
History:
I am new to the miata community, but not new to cars. I had a couple cars, but the most notable was my previous fun car. A 2002 subaru WRX which I bought when I turned 18 and I sold it the beginning of my sophmore year of college for money reasons. It was pretty well built, stage 3 turbo setup with a bunch of goodies, built suspension/brakes and race rubber. This is the first car I have raced and definitely missed:

I then bought a protege5 from my uncle for a great price. I threw some springs on it, made it flush and drove it for two years as an "ultimate daily driver vehicle," which never became close to ultimate:

The Start:
Well, I missed racing way to much and gave the protege5 to my little sister for her to use in college. The miata, I bought the in real rough exterior shape with 180k miles but absolutely rust free. I actually took a suspension bolt off the chassis and it came off with metal flakes on it from the initial time it was put in! The paint was badly faded, softtop was torn, taillight busted, front bumper was improperly repainted with flaking clearcoat and the back bumper had a gouge in it. I didn`t even take a picture because of how crappy it looked but looking back, I should have.

Well I started off buffing the car and it came back pretty well. The single stage paint is fantastic although the original owner def. didn`t know how to buff because around the cracks, it was burned through before I started. I then shaved all the emblems, painted the mirrors, front bumper, back bumper and rear finish panel because of the horrible fading. Had to replace a bunch of misc. little stuff and maintenance. Here are some pictures after a couple initial mods and I could finally happily say this is my car:

I thought it cleaned up pretty well. It is now definitely a great start for a track/autoX toy. It is not going to be built like a showcar, but it will still be somewhat clean.

Up to Date Stuff:
Modifications:

Exterior
- Flat black hardtop
- Touge Run front lip
- TSIs
- APR Mirrors
- Moss Motors Rear Antenna
- RyokuRob`s front tow hook in Red

Interior
- Voodoo Shift Knob
- Wiggy`s Shiftie
- Early NA Dash
- 320mm Steering Wheel
- DIY Shorty Center Console
- Ultrashield Rallysport 15 inch driver`s seat
- Ultrashield Rallysport 17 inch Passenger`s seat
- 5 point Simpson Camlock Harnesses
- ETX9 Battery

Suspension/Chassis
- XIDA Clubsports (700 lb fronts and 400 lb rear with dual springs all around)
- HDHCM2HDDD Rollbar with SFI padding
- 27mm adjustable front swaybar
- 19mm adjustable rear swaybar (No AutoX)
- Supermiata adjustable endlinks
- Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushings with ZERKs all around
- XP8s all around
- Brake Proportioning Valve
- Stainless Braided brake lines

Wheels/Tires:
- 15x9 6ULs in silver
- 225/45/15 Hankook RS3s

Engine: (This list will stay small to save up for LS??? swap)
- Free intake I made from parts lying around

Current Projects
- ABS Doorcards
- Dash Cleanup

Near Future:
- Become a better driver / Trackdays / AutoXs

Distant Future: Full out track car
- Full LSX Swap (going to learn to be a muchhhh better driver first)
- Ridiculous list of things I want to do

Most up to date photo: (minus hardtop)

I`ll keep this updated, but mainly wanted to be able to keep track of it somewhere and like sharing things.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow good start! Paint looks great!
Thanks, I was real happy with how good it came out considering the poor quality it started with.
Great job on the painting and buffing!
Thanks! I will hopefully give it a real good buff pretty soon to clean up the new paint a little better and see how it actually came out.
Looks a lot better than the intro lead me to believe. Nice start, should be cool!
It was pretty bad, I think Jess may have seen it before I really got to it (shes XCLR8N on here). But yes, should be a fun car once it gets a lot of the new stuff on there and finish the suspension up. Next race season should be entertaining to say the least.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already told you I`ll be home the 22nd... some of it will be going on then... most of it in the springtime

TRUST ME... you`ll be getting a call because I want to play weight reduction with some stuff!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the rollbar in, hardtop brackets and front license plate bracket in. I also did the teflon window glides and re-greased the windows. Also, stripped out the rear package area of everything including the softtop and put the thin carpet top back in for the meantime. Will posts some pictures later.

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Nice clean red car. I love it. You should paint the a pillar flat black to match the hard top. I think it would look pretty good.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Nice clean red car. I love it. You should paint the a pillar flat black to match the hard top. I think it would look pretty good.
I'd have to disagree with doing it flat black. maybe if it was a gloss black/red color scheme..but flat black make it look like it needs to be painted imo.

And really nice NA to the OP!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that an s2000 antenna? I have one sitting on my desk but its not the same size threads, how did you make it so it is the same size thread? I really dont even need the antenna to work I just want it on there.
Its actually the moss motors antenna. It was the same price as my old electronic mast and decided this is much lighter and less bulky then that thing for the price.
Thanks! The hardtop will eventually be painted red. Probably early springtime or whenever I get a chance to.
I'd have to disagree with doing it flat black. maybe if it was a gloss black/red color scheme..but flat black make it look like it needs to be painted imo.

And really nice NA to the OP!
Thanks for the compliment! I was debating gloss black/red, but I think I`m gonna do red with all the accents black. Kind of like "murdered out" but with a red body. IDK though, my opinion changes all the time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the A/C out and power steering. I also ended up making my own intake today with a K&N air filter I had lying around and hacking up the OEM tube. I will duct it in the future, but this is fine for now. I`ll get a picture soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts