ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I remeber seeing that and at first I thought it was awesome.

But then I thought again, Im sure that can be easily made for alot less then what they are charging.

Still cool.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
after seeing alot of hot rod cars with this type of radiator hose conversion, i've wanted to do it for my car. i'm sure that my local muffler shop could do it and probably even have it come out nicer than that one. not many muffler shops have their own mandrel bending machine so when you need something with multiple bends, it ends up being pieced together from pre made bends, but my local shop has their own in house mandrel bending machine, so it would just be a matter of taking them a standard radiator hose an having them match it up in pipe. the guy that opperates the machine there is awesome too at making precise pipework. maybe i'll try to get a price on this soon. i'll keep you all posted. by the way, should i only do the top or both top and bottom hoses?

alex

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't the oem rubber hose flex as the motor rocks around on the engine mounts under normal use? Do the silicone couplers on this hard pipe have enough give to keep the pipe from cracking?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
ok gang, i'm probably going to look into this mod this coming week. i'm gonna do one for my car to start and see how the fit and finish come out. if it comes out good, does anyone else want one? i don't know the price figure yet, but just wanted to get a feel from whether you all would want something like this. i'm gonna have mine chromed, but if you guys want i can just ship them to you bare and you chose your coating your specific pipe, whether it be chrome, powdercoat or paint.

i'll post some pics once i have this done and stalled on either my car or a friends, seeing as how my car currently doesn't run.

thanks
alex

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Doesn't the oem rubber hose flex as the motor rocks around on the engine mounts under normal use? Do the silicone couplers on this hard pipe have enough give to keep the pipe from cracking?
Exactly. I would be uncomfortable replacing an "interface" piece between the moving/rocking engine and the chassis with a non-flexible piece. Althought the tube connectors may have some flex in them, it's quite possible that they'd be tested beyond their flexibility limits under heavy load (such as heavy acceleration/engine braking or sudden load to the engine like a clutch dump).

Case in point: I saw a guy who did something similar with a coolant reroute setup. The setup didn't have enough flex built into it, and though it ran without trouble in daily use for months, a hose pulled loose the first time he went to the drag strip and did a high power drag launch with the car. Result: spilled coolant on the track, lots of embarrasment.

I wouldn't recommend this mod without ensuring you have enough flex in the system. It looks purty though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts