ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in order for the Greddy turbo kit for my na 1.6 and was wondering about the reliability of the unit and a comparative figure of how much more faster it will be based on upgrading and adding new components( intercooler,BOV,manifold)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
i would go to miataturbo.net with these questions as many many people have had or do have the greddy turbo kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you will eventually replace every piece of that turbo kit because you will get bored with the power levels..

unless you do a lot of research and manage 240 hp (check on the dyno threads @ miataturbo.net)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The kit makes pretty good power after you make some changes. The turbo back exhaust and BOV should be the first upgrades. I have put right around 8000 miles on mine since October and the kit has not given me any trouble. The next upgrade should be an intake charge cooling device (i.e. intercooler or WI) and bigger fuel injectors. Then, I would start looking into some kind of engine management. I use the greddy emb and it works pretty well for lower power levels.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
i ran one a long time ago.

first and foremost, you better make damn sure your engine is up to date in it's repairs and maintenance. if your are about due for a timing belt and seals or any other repair, do it BEFORE you install the kit. otherwise the added power may cause issues that will be compounded. also, it's easir to do it with out all the extra hardware in the way.

you better save some money for an upgraded clutch too. mine gave up at 8 psi. some mechanical sympathy should be considered when driving or you'll be upgrading the differential, too.

other than that, follow the FAQs on miataturbo.net, replace the bolts and hardware that comes with the kit with grade 8 or stronger stuff.

start running premium fuel.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, thankful for all the input on turbocharging. Rebuilding the engine was on the " to-do" list along with an upgraded clutch as well as a new dif. I probably will just put off the install until I get the clutch and so forth. Oh well,more money to spend =D>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts