ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i ran turnbull canyon about 16 times with james and andrew- we ran our cars through pretty hard...

At the end of the day when i decide to take off after letting our cars cool down for 10 minutes at the bottom of the canyon- i step on the gas and hear a loud sqeal/grind- it quickly went away- but when i heard it again at the next stop sign i went back (thankfully james and andrew were still there)

We looked at my car and noticed that when i pushed down the throttle right at 2500rpm theres this loud squeal/grind comming from the valve cover that quickly goes away after i pass the 2500 mark....

the car was also a quart low on oil- so we added some (i was a quart low before and added oil the same day)

The car is a 91NA with 84k miles..

So i limped the car home and let it sit overnight. ***On the way home i noticed that when i took off from traffic lights barely pushing the gas it took off w/o making the noise- but this was like really crawling. The car runs totaly fine and it did not make any noises/problems above 2500...

Today i tried running it again- but this time theres a harsh virbrating noise seeming to come from the intake manifold side and it didnt make the same noise at 2500rpm as it did before....

Anybody have ANY idea what this could be??? im moving wednesday and the car is going to sit in my driveway under a cover until i have the money to take it to Hiros.... (i have yet to pull off the valve cover, no time...moving)

-Sean Jay :cry:

·
Registered
563 Posts
My first guess would be a belt but I'm pretty sure you would have ruled that out quickly. You may have not gotten enough oil to you lifters/cam journals which would be causing a metal on metal rub.

Best advice: leave it sit until you finish the move, when done pop the cover and do a visual, if everything seems fine see if you can check the oil pressure (may even be some gunk in one of the oil passages).

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yeah, I would pop the cover and look for any wear or hot spots ect...

Change the oil maybe try a better oil??

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
i remember reading somewhere about someones pcv valve coming apart and falling down into the valve cover..... you wouldn't be able to tell it came apart from just a visual inspection, but if you pulled the pcv valve out you see the internals missing.

check your pcv valve just in case.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
sean,

i don't know about the IM vibration symptom, but i remember when my crankshaft seal backed out, it made a LOT of squealing, then gave up and oil was coming out. it *might* be one of your camshaft seals.

you gonna be around this weekend? i can drive over and have a look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts