ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've done a little research but I haven't found anything that solves this problem.

Whenever I go to shift into third gear it will, if I don't shift slowly, grind. Just a bit, as it's going in.

Fourth will sometimes do the same thing but only randomly and not nearly as loudly.

So it doesn't keep me from shifting into gear, can even shift quickly, but I don't like the sound (grinding==bad_noise).

When I'm shifting slowly, I can feel the lever needing to go a bit to the side to get into third without grinding.

Parts replaced (for other reasons):
-Upper and lower shifter boots
-Slave cylinder
-All fluids (including turret)

I think the previous owner might have replaced the master but I'm not counting on it.

So, is this an adjustment? Syncro going out? Me loosing my mind?

·
Registered
262 Posts
My transmission does the exact same thing, I was told it was a syncro starting to go out. If there is an easier fix I'd like to know to lol.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back to life cause I've got the same issue. I just had my clutch and flywheel replaced and I was told my 1st - 2nd syncro could be on the verge of going bad. It has been stubborn going into gear when cold but it quickly goes away once the gear box heats up. So if it is indeed going bad, what do I need to fix/replace when the time comes?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm bringing this thread back to life cause I've got the same issue. I just had my clutch and flywheel replaced and I was told my 1st - 2nd syncro could be on the verge of going bad. It has been stubborn going into gear when cold but it quickly goes away once the gear box heats up. So if it is indeed going bad, what do I need to fix/replace when the time comes?
Unless you have the knowledge and ability to remove the trans, take it apart and replace a synchronizer, (labor intensive, probably costly if you farm it out to a transmission mechanic) it might cost less to just replace the unit altogether. In case you don't know, this is a basic description/illustration of how synchros work in a trans: http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

I was having the same problem, 1st to 2nd shifts were stiff when cold, occasionally I could hear the dog teeth grinding ever so slightly. My issue also went away after warm up. I eventually changed my trans fluid to 75w90 full synthetic (it had dino 80w90 for a few months, and this was the period in which it was hard shifting) and this eased the shift and the grinding has gone away.

·
Registered
325 Posts
if it is indeed your syncro, like 01cblue said it would almost be better just buying a new/used trans. Not trying to advertise and i have no affiliation with the company but btdtracing sells used miata transmissions for like $250, so that could always be a thought for you

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
replace the master and the slave.
I replaced those around 100-110K ish so they're fine

if it is indeed your syncro, like 01cblue said it would almost be better just buying a new/used trans. Not trying to advertise and i have no affiliation with the company but btdtracing sells used miata transmissions for like $250, so that could always be a thought for you
Thanks for the help everyone. It should be a while before I have to go replacing it, but it's nice to have a game plan a head of time.

On an unrelated note. I just installed a new clutch and fly today and the pedal is beyond soft. It practically falls to the floor when I push it in. Will it stiffen over time? or should I replace my fluid line with a new (stainless) one for a firmer pedal?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I replaced those around 100-110K ish so they're fine

Thanks for the help everyone. It should be a while before I have to go replacing it, but it's nice to have a game plan a head of time.

On an unrelated note. I just installed a new clutch and fly today and the pedal is beyond soft. It practically falls to the floor when I push it in. Will it stiffen over time? or should I replace my fluid line with a new (stainless) one for a firmer pedal?
Sounds like my old Ford truck after the spring on the clutch pedal lever snapped one day. It had a spring that gave the clutch pedal most of its tension. Did you bleed the clutch hydraulics? Check the hydraulic lines for leaking and/or having air in them.

·
Registered
464 Posts

Poopie.

Same here.

Stubborn 1-2 when cold, and a 3rd with a little extra "clunk".

I'm going to try the master/slave first I think.

I "only" have 96k on my 94 too. We will see how it goes I guess...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts