ClubRoadster.net banner

GT Live at VIR Oct 6-8th

7K views 92 replies 20 participants last post by  DRFT MX5 
#1 ·
Any east coasters going to go to this event? The one 1.5 yrs ago in SoCal was crazy. Highly recommended. There is a SIM race with ride alongs at race speeds, a pro time attack, time attack in your own car vs Tarzan, drift expo, oh...and a grand am race.

http://www.gtlivetour.com/

If you come, come by the Spoon pit. I'll be driving one of thier DC5s or the Euro Accord in the Sim race and time attack.

Matt

#4 ·
Yeah. there have been 2 branded this way in the US in the last 2 years.

the first one was at California speedway almost 2 years ago. They had a demo race of JGTC cars as well as one of the first large draw time attacks and a D1 expo. Lots of booths, etc.

The last one was this spring at PIR in AZ. A more similar set up to the one happening at VIR. Its a real cool mix of JDM race/time attack cars, Grand Am cup cars, and an all around zoo. The draw in SoCal was significantly larger than expected. I'm curious to see what the draw will be in rural Virginia. Its only 1 hour from the Triangle in NC (my old home town) so I assume there will be a good turn out.

And for those of you who haven't been to VIR, it is IMO the nicest all around race track in the US. Extremely fun to drive, lots of places to watch from, lots of grass, places to camp, etc.

I am SOOO stoked to be going to this. It was an unexpected invitation for me. I frankily didn't think I was fast enough to be considered. I'm really excited. I'll have to figure out how to look bored like the "real" pro drivers. I'll be embarassing my Japanese hosts as I'll be the only guy in thier driving suit trying to get more pictures of things than people are taking of thier pit box. :D

There is a Mazda car show and you can enter your car in the Tarzan "my car challenge". Come on out! I'd like to see some of the east coast cars come out.

I also just discovered that the Mine's skyline will be in the US and in the care of Spoon USA at this point. I also believe the Sun Evo will be there. tons of super sick cars.

Matt

#6 ·
Wow. Found out about this yesterday when I dropped by virclub.com to see what's coming up and DIDN'T expect to see anything this good.

This is a fantastic track to visit, drive, spectate, whatever. Great layout with tree-lined backdrop for all your racing photos, nice elevation changes, just cool as hell.

Will definitely make a weekend out of this one.

#8 ·
Yea i went to the one in California when it was out here and i would HIGHLY recommend going if you can make it. Was soo much fun. You could literally go up and touch all the JGTC cars. I even picked up a wheel from one of the NSXs and it weighed probably about 30 lbs with tire. amazing as these are something like 19-20 in. and about 9 in. wide. There was also lots of D1 cars there that were cool to see and they had a neat drift battle at night that really got the crowd going. one thing that really disappointed me was how much interest there was in the drifting compared to the jgtc races (they had 3 i think, 2 short ones and one long one). I really thought that was the cool part and i am sure that is why you see many more drift events here than these Super GT exibitions. Kind of ashame especially because when i was there i heard talk of making a race in the US as part of the series. Anyway, if you live anywhere near there you need to go.

#11 ·
This sounds like a good time. Kyle, if my GF wont go I could pick you up. That would probably be easier than Chris driving up from newport news. I will find out what our situation is for that weekend.

Actually we could take the tC instead of the roadster if necessary. :shock:

#14 ·
Boogie Van,

I'm still going and I will be caming there from Friday night until Sunday. I'll be bringing my 7 person tent for this event, you are both more than welcome to stay with me. PM me for more details and contact info. I'm looking at leaving right after work on Friday.

Chris

#16 ·
So, if youre camping, can you bring in a cooler chock full of food and beer for the weekend?

I may even bring down the van for this, that thing is gonna be ready for some camping this weekend. Im insulating and putting up temporary walls tonight and tomorrow.

#18 ·
I can bring a cooler with some stuff in it. To be honest I was thinknig about doing the extra $65 for the 6 VIP Meals. But we'll still need beer! So Kyle are you going to ride with boogie? Cause I may ask my friend Jolene to come alone with me....

#19 ·
URGENT!!!!! Anyone who is SERIOUS about attending this event, please PM ASAP. I may have a great opportunity for us. I cannot discuss it in a public forum. But if you are going to the race for more than one day, please contact me.

#22 ·
Argghh. I'm having trouble deciding what to do. I would like to go, and the hookup seems good, but I don't want to end up working all day long and miss everything. On the one hand it would be very cool to get up close and help out. On the other hand I feel very short on time lately and would almost rather buy a ticket, drink beer, camp out, meet new people like Matt [exz3owner] and enjoy myself. Also, that weekend is a CDC auto-x at the newly paved Manassas lot so I feel conflicted. I still need a ride if I'm going. I'll call Chris and we'll get it all sorted out one way or another.

#23 ·
Kyle, details have been worked out in full. We have been requested to be there Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Only 2 hours of work required Saturday and Sunday. Trust me... you'll have plenty of time :) Also, 7 hotel rooms have been confirmed.

#24 ·
Chris, what time do we have to be down there friday?

If you want, just pm when you get a chance to pass along the info. I need to know so I can plan out my trip down. I imagine I wont be able to make it down till late friday, unless I leave work mid day.

#25 ·
If the "hook up" you guys are talking about is being a a corner worker, you should. You get a unique view of the track that you wouldn't get from the stands. I can't think of a corner worker station at VIR that I would consider a bad vantage point.
But if you do it, please take the job seriously. Unattentive corner workers suck donkey balls.

you guys don't want to miss this. The list of cars that are going to be there is getting rediculous. Lots of famous time attack cars from japan from names like sun, mines, autobacs, etc.

oh. And I just got a list of the other drivers on the Spoon team. There is a guy named Orido on the list. Nothing like a JGTC champ leaving the pits behind you to make you turn the wick up...

#26 ·
Thanks for the news update Matt. I hope the lineup turns out to be as impressive as it sounds. Don't worry, if I end up working a corner station or even help park cars I'll do a good job since that's just the kind of guy I am. Both Chris and I have experience organizing all aspects of motorsports events including safety and administration for two different organizations so we'll be sure to take it seriously and do a good job no matter what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.