ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gotten the Gude performance head package for the 1.6?
if anyone has whats it like? was it worth it?

·
Registered
352 Posts
http://www.gude.com/Products/headpackage.php

I like some of the selling points (sarcasm)

4. Intake to head ports are purposely mismatched or stepped to fight unwanted reverberation and to reduce boundary layer effects improving port flow.

5. Valve seats we have tried 3 angles so called 5 angle, and many other valve and seat combinations, we have found that the factory angle on the valve is overall the best and that the blended radius parabolic valve seats pioneered by Gude performance provides the most horse power and longevity on most Imports.

7. Valve springs Gude performance camshafts are designed to operate to extreme rpm on stock valve springs, we spent countless hours designing and developing profile which will not require a high pressure valve spring which can cause added friction and valve stem failure due to the high loading of stiffer springs vale stem failure will usually cause major engine damage.

10.ECU's All Ecu's are programmed to match head package where its required.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I've never used them personally, but I have heard/read some bad things. Like they punch out the ports too large and hurt velocity on our engines. I had inquired about head work from them recently, I think there are better and cheaper places out there. I was told their port and polish+ new supertech valves for ~1800.

www.stewartengines.com

www.daycustomengine.com/DCE

Both of these guys seem to have not only better prices but a huge following of spec miata racers.

Stewart seems to put out some very nice spec engines, but doesn't do much else in the miata world. If you are sticking N/A could be a good choice. I've heard as much as 135hp from one of his 1.6 heads alone. There is a member who ordered something other than a N/A style spec head though and had crap work done on miataturbo.net. Member said they weren't familiar with anything else.

John Day is who Hustler recommends from miataturbo.net. From looking around they have great prices and a good reputation. Seem versatile enough to do both N/A and F/I heads properly. I believe trackdog uses them as well.

Then there's our new forum sponsor Renown. They quoted me a good price, but in all honesty I haven't read of or seen any examples of miata specific work.

Just be careful where you take your head. Specially in the 1.6 and 94-97 1.8 heads they have very poor port angles. Many inexperienced builders will open up the ports even further and actually hurt flow on these heads. Many of the higher dollar head jobs on these year heads will actuall add material to the port floor to give a better angle to the air flow. Increased velocity through a smaller properly angled port can trump a big inefficient port when it's done correctly. Some builders add epoxy, some weld, matters how far you want to go. I noticed on Stewarts full race port "port, polish, weld" is mentioned. That's a good sign.

Then there is always Robello if you want to drop some coin. Atleast you will be guaranteed a head as awesome as your wallet is thick.

I've read good things about www.replikamaschinen.com too. They make impressive heads, are pricey though, but flying miata seems to have had some sort of falling out with them awhile back. Something to do with their ported intake manifolds failing, not 100% sure. They had some reported failures of some sort.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha im glad i asked. thanks.
i like the sound of the stewart head work

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never used them personally, but I have heard/read some bad things. Like they punch out the ports too large and hurt velocity on our engines. I had inquired about head work from them recently, I think there are better and cheaper places out there. I was told their port and polish+ new supertech valves for ~1800.

www.stewartengines.com

www.daycustomengine.com/DCE

Both of these guys seem to have not only better prices but a huge following of spec miata racers.

Stewart seems to put out some very nice spec engines, but doesn't do much else in the miata world. If you are sticking N/A could be a good choice. I've heard as much as 135hp from one of his 1.6 heads alone. There is a member who ordered something other than a N/A style spec head though and had crap work done on miataturbo.net. Member said they weren't familiar with anything else.

John Day is who Hustler recommends from miataturbo.net. From looking around they have great prices and a good reputation. Seem versatile enough to do both N/A and F/I heads properly. I believe trackdog uses them as well.

Then there's our new forum sponsor Renown. They quoted me a good price, but in all honesty I haven't read of or seen any examples of miata specific work.

Just be careful where you take your head. Specially in the 1.6 and 94-97 1.8 heads they have very poor port angles. Many inexperienced builders will open up the ports even further and actually hurt flow on these heads. Many of the higher dollar head jobs on these year heads will actuall add material to the port floor to give a better angle to the air flow. Increased velocity through a smaller properly angled port can trump a big inefficient port when it's done correctly. Some builders add epoxy, some weld, matters how far you want to go. I noticed on Stewarts full race port "port, polish, weld" is mentioned. That's a good sign.

Then there is always Robello if you want to drop some coin. Atleast you will be guaranteed a head as awesome as your wallet is thick.

I've read good things about www.replikamaschinen.com too. They make impressive heads, are pricey though, but flying miata seems to have had some sort of falling out with them awhile back. Something to do with their ported intake manifolds failing, not 100% sure. They had some reported failures of some sort.
Don't suppose you know of any good companies in the uk?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
No sorry, I don't. Perhaps try contacting either John day or Stewart and inquire about shipping? Sorry, I don't know a single person personally over there.

Side note- Day Customs just got back to me about an inquiry. He seems very knowledgable. With his good recommendations and after receiving his email I would not hesitate for a second dealing with him. 116.6whp out of one of their spec legal 1.6 engines is respectable. Remember ~30hp drivetrain loss, that's a pretty stout little engine. Specially when you consider their pricing compared to companies like Robello. Decisions, decisions...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts