ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys i have been watching the forum and seems like alot of people are getting there hardtops stolen. so i decided to put together a small little post on making your hardtop identifiable.

First obviously you need a hardtop, i dont have one( because i would never take it off)
Second go to harbor fright and get this

Next find a metal bar on the inside of the hardtop big enough to stamp a serial number or something into, under something so nobody knows its there but you.
Decide on a unique serial of some sort, and write it down and store it somewhere safe :fp:
Stamp it into the hardtop and reassemble.
Congrats you now have something police or other members of the forum can look for to id your stolen hardtop.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I have thought about removing the latches, and doing something similar, either stamping or etching the top underneath the plates.

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
This is a pretty decent idea. Unless you want to sell it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a pretty decent idea. Unless you want to sell it.
thats why you dont put your name, just something like t8b45r and tell the buyer its there when you sell it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
IIRC there was a company in Canada that did this to the entire car. The PO of my 90 had it done.
There is a tattoo on just about every visible part on the car, windows included.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IIRC there was a company in Canada that did this to the entire car. The PO of my 90 had it done.
There is a tattoo on just about every visible part on the car, windows included.
seems like overkill to me

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
Until your car is stolen and you have 10k into it.

·
Supporting Member
1,724 Posts
Latches and brackets are removable.

·
(/゚Д゚)/
3,019 Posts
True, but anything metal connected to a top will be removable. The point would be hopefully they don't notice, or it's professional enough looking that they don't realize it's out of place.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True, but anything metal connected to a top will be removable. The point would be hopefully they don't notice, or it's professional enough looking that they don't realize it's out of place.
this

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Neat idea. Would be better to etch it into the glass though. With OEM glass being so expensive it wouldn't make sense to smash it, and would bring down the value of the top to the point it's not worth stealing and smashing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Can you etch glass with a dremmel? You could put any small design in the glass, then take a few close up pictures of the etching and your car etc to prove its yours. Lately, in SoCal, you need to etch / stamp wheels, rollbar and hardtops with the current thefts.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I have never done it. Not quite sure. I would guess yes, but it sure would suck if someone tried and shattered the glass.

We could also start putting custom upholstry in the inside of the hardtop, or flock it. Making them more unique will help them stand out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts