ClubRoadster.net banner

Gut your thermostat bro

NA 
7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  concealer404 
#1 ·
What's up bro? Wanna keep your temps low this summer while hard parking at your buddy's Honda meet? u want swag?

k

Go get a thermostat gasket from the auto store.

Take out your thermostat: http://miata.net/garage/therm.html

Pull out the thermostat. Get a nice heavy duty workbench with plenty of work space as seen below. Use a cutting wheel or a dremel. I used a cutting wheel because that's the way I'm living my life right now

You need to grind down the nubs that you see poking through the hearts in the photo. These are what hold the thermostat assembly together.

This is what you need to do to each side.

Now cut the brackets.

On your heavy duty workbench, use pliers to wiggle out the remaining scrap.

Cut the other side. Be careful because the spring is going to make it explode, as seen all over my shop floor. Don't forget to yank the other piece out.

Now you'll have this little metal guy dangling in your face. If you have most disease yolo swag, you could keep this in there like a drift charm. But I recommend prying it out.

End result

Now you're done. Scrape all of the old gasket off and install the thermostat with your new gasket. Now go enjoy your sub zero temps and put that $10 worth of money you saved towards your Raceland Ultimos.

Put in a proper thermostat when it's not 100 degrees outside anymore.

See less See more
#9 ·
Gotta have a restrictor so the water does flow through your shitty single core rad too quickly. Without a restrictor the water will move so quickly through the rad that it won't cool down at all

#10 ·
Oh. People still run shitty radiators?

Why not just buy a super awesome Begi Racer Reroute instead of doing this? You get to keep your thermostat AND put another modification in your signature! Win win!

#11 ·
Why not just buy a super awesome Begi Racer Reroute instead of doing this? You get to keep your thermostat AND put another modification in your signature! Win win!
Cause that's what would be the smart thing to do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.