ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A taste from UK's cottage industry of replica/kit/small volume sports car makers.

http://www.hazelnet.org/brits/index.htm

I've always loved compact sports cars. Growing up with British sports cars in the family virtually guaranteed that I would one day be a Miata owner. However, there are lots of other cool, small sports cars out there. Perhaps none as reliable and affordable as the MX-5 but cool all the same. I'd happily drive a Lotus 340R, TVR Sagaris, Marcos TSO GTC, Bristol Fighter, Ginetta G15, Caterham R300, Morgan Aero8, Noble M400, Fisher Fury, Ariel Atom, etc.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
No it's $13k for the kit but you have to supply a Miata from which to transplant parts.

They say right there that the parts you need are:

* 1.6L engine and gearbox - complete with inlet tract & exhaust manifold and lambda sensor
* Air box and air flow meter and both pieces of pipe work and retaining clips and air box mounting rubbers
* Complete wiring loom, ECU, fuse boxes, dashboard switches, clutch pedal switch, sensors and relays
* Instrument panel cluster
* Upper steering column including steering wheel, crash pad, indicator stalks, ignition barrel and key and top and bottom cowl
* Lower steering column (needs modifying)
* Diff and casing complete with rubber mounting bushes and buffer plates
* Rear uprights, hubs, discs and calipers including top upright rubber bush still fitted
* Handbrake lever and cables, compensator & all fittings including retaining spring clips
* Steering rack, track rod end joints and nuts
* Front uprights, hubs, discs and calipers
* Wheels and tires and wheel nuts
* Propshaft (needs modifying)
* Driveshafts including joints, lock nuts and hub nuts
* Front bottom ball joints including castle nuts
* Horns
* Cooling fan
* Side repeaters
* Fuel filter and bracket
* Carbon canister, pipe work and mounting bracket
* Catalyst converter
* Interior mirror
* Screen washer bottle and pump
* Battery and mounting tray including clamp and fixings
so the 13k gets you the frame, the A-arms, body pannels, seats, a roll bar, a windsheild, shocks, springs...etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speaking of British kit cars and tying it back to roadsters, have you seen FM is building a Westfield? Check it out here: http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/
The whole kit, including motor, for $13k? I think I know what I am buying when I graduate college next year. :)
You can see what parts they use from the MX-5 here:

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/content/sub content.asp?cid=54&lid=11&hdr=showroomtext.gif

only £6,450 for a westfield!

EDIT

looks like Agent935 beat me too it :oops:

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
Re: first link

Some of those cars are excellent british sportscars wit high power and very few driver aids. However some are nasty kit cars and very low production humilation-wagons! #-o

·
Registered
441 Posts
^ agreed, some are naff!

ie built on metros

·
Mufasa in Training
32,614 Posts
Impressive listings. A Ginetta G4 Miata-based replica would be neat :)

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Hate to sound sacriligious, but if I was building a car from scratch, not sure an old MX5 would be the basis. For a start, I can think of a ton of better (cheaper!) donor engines.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,614 Posts
Hate to sound sacriligious, but if I was building a car from scratch, not sure an old MX5 would be the basis. For a start, I can think of a ton of better (cheaper!) donor engines.
That may be true, but I think one big reason to do it is that there is already a large community who is mechanically familiar with the Miata/MX-5 and are prospective customers :)

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Read Cyana's website; its a retooled Sylva Fury, an old "Special" from the 70s.

re. building a car. I think if I was building one, I'd want to be comfortable with more than just one set of mechanics before starting. Hence, my preference would be to start with a Ford Zetec 1.8 of Vauxhall Ecotec; more power, strong engines (all the cheap MX5 donors will be piddly LWSC cars), cheap, reliable, and a ton more tuning parts and tuning knowhow without having to ship stuff from halfway around the world at a 100% markup.

I'm not sure Westfield's idea of a MX5-based special is that good an idea. There aren't that many scrapped MX5s in the UK market. Perhaps in 5 years time that might change, but then, I forsee big changes on the horizon regarding end of life rules, plus tightening up of the UK SVA.

·
Registered
441 Posts
i contacted the guy that makes the MX5 kit car and he is getting back to me with a price on the throttle bodies :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts