ClubRoadster.net banner

81 - 100 of 143 Posts

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
LOL That is actually Paul's (djsqiigles) NA.

Koyo has been holding up perfectly (cross my fingers haha) and Summit Racing gave me a refund on the Spectra radiator.

Up next? Maybe an exhaust. I know I want to get my spare 1.6 rebuilt and dropped in, clutch diff with seals and bearings, and lastly my suspension to be freshened up before a nice cheap paint job.

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
What did I get in the mail a while back...?

!!!

Garage Star Cooling Panel and Wiper Cowl. No install pictures at this time but the fitment is excellent and makes my engine bay LOOK SO CLEAN.

I also purchased these from a local member EvoPanda for a very good price:

NoPro washer bottle and i-Concept Tie Rods and Spacer.

My dreams of ITB and sliding around is getting closer...

BUT

Yesterday night when driving home from meeting up with the SD Miata guys I noticed my water temp going to the 12 o'clock position. WTFaaaaaa? Not with a Koyo. Parked it at my house and noticed a hissing noise. Popped the hood and noticed a lot of water underneath my intake manifold. Popped the cap and the radiator was bone dry (shiny too!).

I'll do more inspection tomorrow.

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
227,195 miles

So a while back I fixed my leak and everything was dandy until today when I found out my Koyo 37mm was leaking. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. 1 1/2 months, ~2000 miles. Emailed Goowin and expect to hear from him in the morning.

Maybe I should just part out the car, sell all the shelf parts and buy a daily Civic? I dunno haha.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Where is the leak coming from?

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Two in a row.. This makes me think something might be wrong with the way its mounted. When you find out where this one is leaking Id take a close look at what might be interfering with the rad to cause it to leak. like you say, you put 2000 successful miles on it. Something caused it to fail.

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

I should hear back from Koyo shortly.

I'm afraid that I might have a partially blown head gasket now. Going to borrow a block tester. If it proves positive then I will send the car out to a shop to get the head and block measured. Resurface anything that is warped. Throw in a metal head gasket (HKS or Maruha) and call it a day. That should fix my issues incase any exhaust gasses enter the cooling system where the pressure builds up too much to cause damage.

To answer previous questions:

The leak is coming right behind the fans (leak is facing toward engine) but the fan mount didn't hit the fins/tubes in anyway. It doesn't look like there is any physical hit to the rad where it is leaking.

I get can get my car detailed at work for around $150 I think? Interior, exterior and steam cleaning of the engine bay.

I have a spare engine in the garage that I am going to get rebuilt but priorities right now are saving up for rent because it looks like I'll be moving soon.

I live 4 miles away from work and I usually drive around to do things on the weekend. My insurance has me at 15-20k miles a year.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Do you really drive that much?

That seems weird with the radiator, seems like a defect from koyo. If you have more issues with leaking radiators you could have an electrolysis issue like someone else mentioned.

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Yeah that could be the case. I will add more coolant this time around.

The reason for my driving:
I drove to Laguna Seca last year. ~800 miles round trip back to San Diego. We took the PCH after Santa Barbara on our way up so I am sure that added some miles haha.

Driving to KINOD. ~220 miles round trip back to SD. I use to drove up there WAAAY more often last year then I am this year.

In Southern California you kinda have to drive to get to places. I wish I didn't put as much miles on my car haha.

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Pulled the radiator to take pictures to show to Good Win Racing. I am going to have to buy a OE replacement ATM because the car has been down for 2+ weeks and I need this car running. It will get block tested soon.

LIVE KITTY LIVE!!!

81 - 100 of 143 Posts