ClubRoadster.net banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 · (Edited)
A lot of stuff has happened since the beginning of December until now.

So...

The car went into the shop to get the head resurfaced, a new head gasket and a valve job. Also they installed the HKS header I have had sitting on my shelf for 3 years haha.

I installed a new fuel filter when I got it home.

The stock heat shield would not fit over the new header so I ended up wrapping it up in DEI Gold heat reflective tape.

"What I did was wrap a 1" section of hose using up all 6" length of tape, move up 1/2" overlapping the previous tape with the new one half way. Rinse and repeat. Had to wrap it TIGHT for a nice seal/appearance.

I used up all the 12"x12" sheet."

This gives me the piece of mind that the heat from the header won't roast the rubber coolant hoses. Next up to help this will be a TDR Heat Shield.

ALSO!

About the leaking coolant it turned out to be the heater core. On New Years Eve Lincoln Logs and The Pass were kind enough to come out to my place and help me with replacement.

All in all I don't think it was that bad of an experience.

Remove neg battery cable
Remove center console
Remove radio surround
Remove tray underneath the steering wheel
Disconnect orange and blue connectors
Remove airbag
Remove steering wheel
Remove upper and lower steering wheel trim
Remove gauge hood while cracking the mounts off so I can't put them back on
Disconnect gauge cluster connectors
Hit face with gauge cluster as I pull off the speedo cable
Undo various electrical connectors that are to the dash
Almost strip two heads off the screws that hold the glove box up
Remove glove box
Undo the three HVAC cables
Pull HVAC panel
Undo various bolts that hold the dash/dash bar to the car
Unbolt steering column
Use the tiny 10mm and tiny ratchet to take off the center bolt holding the dash in at the top
Pull down steering column while pulling dash up and over it
Realize there are still more electrical connectors that are attached to dash, undo those
Undo heater hoses on the engine side while destroying the firewall grommets and spraying coolant everywhere
Unbolt the heater core box from car
Take <10 min to swap out heater cores
To install use reverse order except we had to cut and connect a spade to the ground coming off the radio harness because the stock location was installed my a 10yo with small hands, gauge cluster hood couldn't go back on because the areas where the clips held onto the hood broke apart.

Now I smell gear oil from the drivetrain. Plans are to pick up a 6-speed sometime, seal that up, pick up a clutch LSD and re-seal the pumpkin.

Until then... put your Hams up!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The next woe would come about when I was still going to college. I would be the cool guy and drive to campus top down no matter how early or how cold it was. I was lazy one morning and decided to drop the top without unzipping the rear plastic window.
SNAP!
I looked around and didn't see anything unusual. The next morning I did the same.
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!
Then it donned on me. THE WINDOW!!!1!

:|
SIGH. This happened to me last week when I went to school in at 7 in the morning. FML.

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
It is going good! I feel a power bump! I am hearing this "rushing wind" noise but I am told this is normal. If not it is an exhaust leak haha. I think this B6 is a little tired so once it gets run down to the ground it will get swapped.

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 · (Edited)
Haven't posted in forever, but I've got a blog up and running. Got a new Miata, doing some stuff to it. Let me know what you think!

Updated nearly every Sunday or earlier haha.

https://hamracing.wordpress.com/

·
Cat Jesus
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
121 - 140 of 144 Posts