ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I finished lapping my valves, and now I want to place everything back. Problem is though that the Valve spring retainers won't go in properly. I've got a valve spring compression tool.

Should I just keep going untill I get the hang of it or is there a better/special way to do it?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Take head to machine shop, pay machine shop to reassemble. With the springs down in the buckets like the miata has, it's a huge PITA to get it back together. The hammer and deep socket trick works decent enough for removing them, but not putting them back. Either that, or get a helper who can operate the compressor tool, find a small flat head screwdriver that is magnetic, a 90* pick in the other hand, and curse until you're done.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
Take head to machine shop, pay machine shop to reassemble. With the springs down in the buckets like the miata has, it's a huge PITA to get it back together. The hammer and deep socket trick works decent enough for removing them, but not putting them back. Either that, or get a helper who can operate the compressor tool, find a small flat head screwdriver that is magnetic, a 90* pick in the other hand, and curse until you're done.
This is the solution for those who lack talent

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah, I want to see you put keepers back in with a hammer and deep socket. Seriously, if you have a faster, easier way to get those little bastards back in every time, please share.

·
Registered
930 Posts
get an old socket or piece of PVC and cut out 2 windows in it. then use the compressor tool with your new tool. get a tub of grease and put some on a small flat head and on the locks on the retainers the grease will help them stick to the valve. then once they are in place carefully undo the compressor tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts