ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have searched everywhere for this... ive got that the same size rt-615's grip a hair better than the same size rs2 z212's. However im running sts2 and the max width is 225. I cant find the falken in that width which would put me running 205/50/15 for the rt 615's. Then 205 falkens would weigh in at 21.2 lbs and have the 225/45 kooks weighing in at 19.7. So would the 225 kooks that are wider than the falkens and lighter be a better choice? Would the falkens still handle better? Im leaning toward the kooks, thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Testing by Andy Hollis proves Azenis are the ones to go with. He's mounted them on 16x7.5 SSR comps, and I think he's got them in 205/40R16. Better gearing, better for the slaloms, but loses in the wide sweepers.

If you need 15", grab the 205/50 Azenis and call it a day. I'm curious how it actually rides, as some have said it's better than some expect.

Not hating on the Kooks thou..............I've had a set, the 205 vs Azenis 205 is actually wider by a lot. Great tire, and I wouldn't mind having them again, I think it's great for a car that sees a track vs. autox, because it loves the heat.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its for STS2, i was just wondering, wider rubber has benifitted me in the past. I dont care so much about price, since im willing to pay for the wider rubber. Ill be autocrossing atleast every other weekend. Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd probably go with the Azenis. That said, I'm running a 225/45/15 Hankook on a 15x8 wheel. There's tons of grip and turn in is crisp with the wide wheel.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to make full use of the 225 Kook with the 7.5" wide wheel.

Let us know what you choose and how it works out.

BTW, the reason that Andy is using the 16" wheel and Azenis is b/c of the overall diameter of the setup. It's a good bit shorter and helps in acceleration.

·
Registered
369 Posts
One more thing. When Andy was doing his STS2 tire testing, the 225/45/15 Hankook was not available. He was planning on revisiting the subject, but I'm not sure if he's gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd stick with the Azenis for STS2 use. It really takes an 8" wheel to get the full benefits of a 225/45 Hankook.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops everyone said stick with the falken. But i ordered the kook allready. Oh well. Maybe i like to be different. Ill keep everyone posted on how it works. Besides it wasnt involved in the test right? Someone needs to test it out, so it will be in the etr region now huh? Wish me luck, and ill keep you all posted.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the azenis on my 95 and the hankook on my 90 and i really like the hankook tires for both street and track. I found the azenis to have less grip in the rain compared to the hankook and i find the hankook to have more grip on the track. Both sets are on the same type of wheel (Rota GT3).

·
Registered
459 Posts
azenis. all the way baby. its what someone recommended. many ppl ran it in solo2. it warms up fast, grips crazy, and i think it rivals many 225's out there. if it is heavier than another 225 by comparison, its because of its stiffer boxy sidewalls. it performs great canyon carving, however, grippy tires can mask driver error. something i heard alot and learned the hard way. but once you learn, azenis is a great tire. see how the kooks are like, but swap with ur friend with azenis. see what you come up with urself. great performance-great price too.
happy motoring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts