ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have them? and what are your thoughts about them. I'm thinking of buying them whenever I get a hard dog rollbar.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
A less intrusive option is DIY Roadster's door bars as they have more of a progressive decline towards the floor where as the Harddog version doesn't but as a bigger angle down where it goes to the floor

HD

DIY Roadster

Also DIY Roadster will have a group buy a few times a year for $250 instead of the normal $315, in fact will be doing one this month according to my correspondence.

The general consensus is door bars make the most noticeable improvement in rigidity out of any other bolt on brace or equivalent.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Also DIY Roadster will have a group buy a few times a year for $250 instead of the normal $315, in fact will be doing one this month according to my correspondence.
I'd get in on that. Where could I find more information?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Would adding door bars be any help if I don't have a roll bar?
Don't have first hand experience but others report more of a noticeable improvement in rigidity with door bars vs bolt in 4 point roll bars and the door bars mount at the same place as the forward most roll bar leg on traditional roll bars so you can use the same holes.

@dubster: My pleasure! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Would adding door bars be any help if I don't have a roll bar?
Yes. Had I known it earlier I probably would have just installed door bars and not done the rollbar in my car.

That being said if you plan on installing a roll bar later I would do that first, as you wouldn't want to have to redrill for the bar.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A less intrusive option is DIY Roadster's door bars as they have more of a progressive decline towards the floor where as the Harddog version doesn't but as a bigger angle down where it goes to the floor

HD

DIY Roadster

The general consensus is door bars make the most noticeable improvement in rigidity out of any other bolt on brace or equivalent.
Hmm I went to their website and they have a group buy going on right now; until the end of March tho. I'll definitely keep them in mind next time I get paid.

Also, is that your NB... Jesus. I need a NB in my life

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. Had I known it earlier I probably would have just installed door bars and not done the rollbar in my car.

That being said if you plan on installing a roll bar later I would do that first, as you wouldn't want to have to redrill for the bar.
Well damn I just spent $350 on a roll bar, however; door bars won't protect you in a roll over. I agree with everyone who says roll bars are a must for every Miata.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Do the DIYRoadster bars work with the hard dog roll bars? Do they match up with the holes in the lower mount of the Hard Dog Roll Bar?

Edit: Nvm. Found this on his tax season group buy post. "Direct Bolt In Fit with Hard Dog Roll Bars and also work with no roll bar installed. All other roll bars Fitment is not guaranteed."

http://www.diyroadster.com/shop/4576124571/tax-season-group-buy/9099493

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I've been considering door bars as well but I'm a really big guy as it is and space is limited for me.
What? :smile1: Unless you 'spill over' the seat and into the door yo the point you need someone to push the door shut for you then door bars have NOTHING to do with your size.

·
Aero Master
2,238 Posts
Door bars definitely help stiffen up the car. The convertible has a lot of flex in the unibody, due to lack of a roof. Imagine the car as 2 parts, front and rear, being folded together like a book. Using door bars, you triangulate the large open area, keeping the car from being flexed in the middle. A roll bar will only stiffen the rear, no triangulation to the front side. This is also why door bars work much better than frame rail reinforcements.

-Henry

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Could someone please post a few pics and measurements for the door bars and mounting locations. I would like to build a couple sets. Thank you
Sean
Of course we would like to do all the hard work for you and help you make a profit while others have put in the work! :smile1: Just hold your breathe while I get that info for you... ;) :suicide:

*Seriously? :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Spent the last two days installing the HD bars with LRB aluminum door panels. Installed the bars on my NB1 with
NB2 passenger seat and Sparco Speed 2 drivers seat. Could not get the seats in. May have been possible
with some force but too tight for me. There was a 2" space between the outside of the bars and the
LRB panel. The bars are designed for the wider stock NB door card. Have a good friend that is a mechanic/fabricator and he cut, bent, and re-welded the bar moving it out 1.5" which gives plenty of room
for the seats. I emailed Tom at HD and said I thought there should be a version of the bars designed to
take advantage of the extra space available with flat door panels.
Have only driven about 30 miles, round trip to my friends shop, but it does feel a good
bit stiffer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts