ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to buy a rollbar for my NA and I've read some places, here and other sites, that some guys are using the Hard Dog Hard Core Hardtop for the 99+ in the older cars. I didn't find any real clear explanation for choosing the NB over the NA version of this rollbar.

Does anyone have any explanation or experience with what is up with making such a choice? From what I read so far seems the NB version will fit the NA car. I'm interested in the dual diag version.

Thanks

·
Mufasa in Training
31,123 Posts
The only reason you'd want the NB version is if you plan on using a top with a glass window. Hard Dog only guarantees that it will work with the stock rear window, of course.

The advantage of the NA over the NB version is that the NA version has a built in harness bar, whereas on the NB, you'd have to either buy one (don't know if it's available) or put in harness tabs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have the hdhcdd nb bar in my na. ditto what was said above - the only advantage is if you ever want to add a top with a glass rear window. the disadvantage is that the nb's harness tabs are only slightly usable - the tab location safely only allows for a single shoulder strap. many clubs won't let you run bot straps from a single mounting point, and the angle would be off for the second strap anyway.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good comments - that's what I needed to hear! Sounds like the NA version is the one for me and I like the option of the harness bar if I ever decide to be propery held inside the car -

One last...Any good experiences in a retailer for buying a Hard Dog? I'm in sothern Cal.

Thanks Again!

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Yeah, I have a NB HDHCDD bar as well. But now that I am switching back to a plastic rear window, I want a NA bar.

·
Registered
971 Posts
One last...Any good experiences in a retailer for buying a Hard Dog? I'm in sothern Cal.
Same prices everywhere, the people you buy it from will have it drop shipped to you from Hard Dog in North Carolina.
I've know Tom (the owner of Hard Dog) for years. Great guy, member of our Miata club.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does this sound right...From FlyingMiata page for M1 Hard Dog Hard Core Hardtop Roll Bar...

"Same heavy tubing construction and tubing size as the Hard Core model, but it`s designed to fit under the hardtop. Diagonal and harness bars standard. Designed to meet SCCA Solo 1 requirements."

Then an option for dual diagonals for $415 + $65. Sounds like the one I need. You're right same price everywhere sounds good to me might save my life too

Any experience with the padding offered through Bethania Garage Inc. & Hard Dog Fabrication? Seems like a necessity but is there a less expensive option someone has used?

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
there are whole threads over on .net on which is better, single or dual diagonals. if you don't have a strong opinion, go with whatever you think looks best. i probably would have chosen a na single diagonal bar, but i got mine used and couldn't be picky.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Dual or single... up to you. My dad (engineer and SCCA road racer) said the double diagonal should be stronger.

Padding... I have the pad that Hard Dog sells. It fit perfect, no problems. I did cover it, as it will discolor quickly in the sun. The pad is designed to protect a helmeted head, so it's stiff. But it's supposed to be. You can get the "noodle" padding from other sources, its pretty soft stuff. I'm sure it would feel better to an un-helmeted head in an impact...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks LagunaMiata for the padding info. The fitted firmer padding is probably the best option for durabilty and looks.

A little off topic but...

Is anyone familiar with reactions from cops if you drive with a helmet on? On Public roads? Must be illegal I'm guessing...especially with the top down. That would be higlhy visible to others. I used to do this in my early 20's when I was out for drives that were a combinaton of dirt roads and paved streets. I never saw cops in those days and now I hesitiate to stop and ask one :)

·
Mufasa in Training
31,123 Posts
IIRC, driving a car with a helmet is illegal for some reason.

On the topic, Rich is right: Tom is one of the easiest vendors in the Miata community to deal with. Never met him in person, but my business dealings with him have been top notch. One thing that's very nice is that he will send you (for a fee of course) the hardware kit for any bar should you choose to buy used instead of new.

·
Registered
971 Posts
A friend of my dad's who has a Stalker (GM V-6 based 7-style kit) went to the Gap. Killboy got pics of them going through with full face helmets on! It was during cool weather...

As for Tom, if you're a a friend he doesn't charge for the hardware kit... :mrgreen:
But I was doing him a service by testing a M2 Hard Core with a Robbins glass window. I'm the first one (to our knowledge) to try it and verify that it does fit.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
The harness bar and tabs are optional on both models. I have neither on my polished NA HDHCDD.
Are you sure?
Everywhere the HDHCDD bars are listed, it states that the NA version cannot be used with a glass window top b/c of the harness bar, which is welded on.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Is anyone familiar with reactions from cops if you drive with a helmet on? On Public roads? Must be illegal I'm guessing...especially with the top down.
First: you should always have the top down in a Miata.
Second: I am not familiar with any federal or state statute that specifically prohibits wearing a helmet while driving an automobile on public roads. However, there are all sorts of "catch all" laws that you could be cited for allegedly violating but many of these laws are poorly worded and are probably unconstitutional because they're impossible to legally enforce anyways but haven't been challenged through judicial review. Doesn't stop them from trying to get some money from you, though.

tumble said:
But I can speak from experience that if you are driving a car on a twisty road at some speed... and you happen to be wearing a fullface helmet and fireproof suit... You're not going to talk your way out of the speeding ticket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts