ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the little chrome latch that holds on to the frankenstein bolts on a hardtop i may buy has broken off. i need to know if this particular part is either easily repairable or replacable. if so, can anyone let me know where i can buy the parts i need or show me how to fix it. if possible, i want to keep welding out of the picture. 'cuz frankly, im no good at it. but if it is the only resort let me know. thanks a ton fellas.

cheers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Are you talking about those "feet" that hold onto the bolts?

You can replace it, but I can tell you right now it's a little bit of work.

They're epoxied in underneath the rear fiberglass rail of the hardtop. You'll have to cut out the upper layer of fibgerglass (under the weather strip), then remove the catch thing (reshape), and then reglue it (epoxy), and finally fiberglass back over it (using SMC style epoxy based fiberglass & resin combo).

Yeah. Not that bad... Since it's in a non-visible area, but you have to be REALLY careful since now that I've done this repair my hard top sits high and I don't know EXACTLY why (Sooo many factors... Damnit!).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, this is what i need to repair. any suggestions? im not sure if mazda and any other parties have replacement parts yet. i havent had any luck online. i guess i might have to make a trip to my local mazda dealership to find out. that is unless i can seriously just repair it myself. or i can get some help from you guys.

here is a pic. i hope it posts:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Damn.

It looks like what broke off is the entire metal "foot."

You'll need all the internal pieces (One slider thing, two bolts and nuts to hold it, two screws in there, the top half); and the foot.

The foot may not be orderable from Mazda, as it's epoxied inside the internal structure of the hardtop!

You may have to find another junk hard top to find this piece... On the other hand, you can cut it off both sides and use the side latches, no big thing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok, on page 85 of Body 2 of 3 for 95-96, you can clearly note a lot of part #s for the hardtop "foot"

...just not the foot itself!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think i may have found the proper parts. \:D/ but before i go any further, i want to personally thank freedomgli a million thank yous for the parts manuals with exploded veiws and part numbers. i dont know if i could have done it without that. THANK YOU!!! *standing ovation everyone please. =D>

okay, moving on. on page 97 of body 1991-92, like what a13n0rma1 said they have all part numbers i would ever need for what im looking for. BUT im not sure what the line is pointing to that is: R1-864/R1-874. it looks to me like that actual "foot" that i need. it almost looks like a small gasket thingy that goes under the foot. i think the foot itself may be number: R1-864. i will have to call mazda to see.

ill let you guys know what i found out later. thanks again fellas. i really appreciate it. keep it comin'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts