ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before and I ran a search but all i came up with was the discussion of the need for side latches. I know I need them but the rollbar prevents the latches from closing. Is there any other option of securing the hardtop? Should I even bother buying the striker plates? The hardtop isnt coming off anytime soon so a permanent fix is an option.
thanks, 7

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
nope, I have the side latches, but they arent on the car. try a search on .net for permanent side latches, I know you can rig something permanent up.

probably just a metal plate, drill some holes to line up the latch and striker plate mounting points and bolt it down.

so you gettin rid of your soft top now? ;) keep me in mind.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,130 Posts
You can come up with some sort of turnbuckle (ie 0 height) arrangement, but the side latches cannot open at all with the bar in the way. You don't need them, but having the side latches does help seal up the cabin and further reduce noise.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I dont neeeeeed it but If i can find a cheap cuick solution i can deal with a little less wind noise. Matt if I take out the softtop your first in line! I found these:
http://okmiata.com/r_index.html
Do I still need the skrikers for the side if im going to bolt them in?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
saferacer.com sells spec miata hardtop mounting kits. Hard dog also makes a set of latches that can clear the hard core bar.
I cant find find them on the Bethania website. Got a Link?

·
Supreme Supporter
291 Posts
I recall that on my previous 96 with HDHC and hardtop, I put the side latches on the bench grinder and took a little off the side facing the rollbar. The mechanism on the hardtop didn't interfere, IIRC. It was a tight fit, but it worked just fine. I've been running my hardtop on the current 94 with HDHC and haven't found the need to install my side latches. The top fits tight enough without it right now....

·
Vendor
11,672 Posts
I'd love to hear more, Callasports. Or even see a picture. I can't imagine getting the stock latches to fit in that tiny space.

I'm using turnbuckles right now. It's damn ugly too, but it works. Connected on the hardtop with one of the screws and then on the body with one of the bolts. It's not extremely strong, but it tugs the top down toward the body a little tighter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts