ClubRoadster.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone in LA, particularly the South Bay, has done changed out the quartz crystal in their ECU. It would be great to feel the difference and to get some help!

Steven

·
The colder Adam
2,197 Posts
Not local bit I can give you my impressions. right know, I run a 5% higher freq crystal which bumps my engine cut off up to a hair over 8k. I ran a 10% crystal for a bit as well.

The difference is not huge, but I'd say it is noticeable. Almost the same as bumping the timing. If you are just street driving, I wouldn't go more than 5% over. There is no need. The biggest benefit, IMO, is not the power, but extra revs. It helps avoid some shifts on an autocross since you don't hit the rev limiter as often.

Overall, the but dyno says it may be a bit better powerband up top, but not a huge difference. Unless you need the revs, it is not a vital mod. 5% is plenty, I'd say. It is a cheap mod and may make an extra horse or two.
I wouldn't make a habit of hitting the raised limit often. Let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Anyone care to expand what this does without me googling and researching it?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Pointless ... there's not much power up there.
I'm more interested in it for my MSM if I can push up my redline. From the factory the MSM is limited to 6500. Would be nice to push it up to 7000 while I'm saving for a new ECU.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Isn't there a reflash that takes care of this?
Yea, it's pricey, requires mailing in your ecu for re-tunes, still suffers from some of the stock ecu's odd behavior, and begi has really mixed reviews from a customer service standpoint.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I like high reving engines but, at 13psi id be scared. Lol I dont want to blow my engine. Id love 8k rev limit like my old ap2

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ap2 was 8200 before fuel cut off if I remember correctly. They screamed nicely. I do like the 9k on the ap1 but the gearing and extra bit torque made it a much better drive

·
Banned
607 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Nice Link Batou - "Saved". Use cases would be ̶A̶u̶t̶o̶-̶X̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ track events imo. Gearing is the issue, which can be adjusted (tires, final gear, transmission), then power curve (more HP (Boost)).

I haven't read the rules, but if you were to do a Solo 2 or Sunday Race event, this would disqualify you from the 'stock' class you would be racing in, since it would provide an edge into overtaking into a turn. Thats it.

Batou - agreed, your mileage will vary with a stock bottom end, but will grenade eventually. Else Mazda would have bumped the RPM limit in stock form already... Lord & I know they grenade Rotary's at their limit. (Rx-8).

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
I wasn't aware citation rules from college apply on public discussion forums. Are you gonna start cracking down on plagiarism next?

Bell Engineering, Corky Bell, December, 2010,
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_info.php?cPath=4_37&products_id=695 (accessed 2am, EST, 3/27/12)
- 3rd paragraph 2nd line
Great, you know how to quote ****. good job.

bigx5murf said:
Yea, it's pricey, requires mailing in your ecu for re-tunes, still suffers from some of the stock ecu's odd behavior, and begi has really mixed reviews from a customer service standpoint.

You went to college, and you know how to cite... yet you don't know any better than to quote a source that you yourself deemed unreliable?

To answer your question: No, college/ university rules obviously don't apply here. Common courtesy and not-being-a-douche do apply though.

You're being banned for your signature. We have members from nearly every race, religion and sexuality. Your hate is not appreciated here. Go spread it on your own forums, as I'm sure you do.

Good day, sir.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
There is a difference between customer service and product reliability. There is no denying Corky Bell knows his crap when it comes to turbo and our engines. Where BEGI falls short is their customer service. Which for a lot of their target audience is majorly needed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.