ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw some pics of them on the net, and thought I would mention the topic again.
Quite unique and over all cool looking headlights.
I wonder if the reverse pop up could be done incorporating a set of the flush mount Barchetta HL's or the like??
Would be way cheaper than the original Hayashi HL price...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
These lights have always intrigued me. We had a set in our hands when RSpeed had them years ago, but they weren't feasible to make at the time. I'd still love to score a set.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Back tilts up when they turn on, just like the barn doors but the opposite direction. Think Porsche 928 (I think)

EDIT: Yup check these out, same method but the NA ones only come up a bit:

Very cool IMHO =D>

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
The Body Shop Hayashi pop-up projectors were designed to lift up at the rear and tilt forward. I understand they used the stock barn door motors with modified linkages. While low profile headlamps are stylish, aerodynamic, and lighter than the factory pop-ups, most all suffer from poor optics due to the spread of the beam catching the top of the front bumper creating a shadow right in front of the driver. The Body Shop Hayashi lamps attempted to solve this problem by lifting the light above the front bumper to eliminate the shadow and increase the amount of light projected onto the roadway.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Another approach to reduce this shadow effect is to cut recesses into the front bumper cover to increase the amount of room the light has to spread before getting cutoff.

Or you could raise the lamps.

AAC

AUTOMODERNA

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Is it even possible to find these anymore??? I have always wanted them.
Yes, if you're patient, determined, lucky, and have wads of cash. How do you think I found the detailed pictures shown above? New they cost more than $2000. Today, if you're lucky enough to find a set for sale, they're somewhere north of $1000. Too few have sold to determine reliable market price. It could be $1200 or it could be $2500, it all depends on who is bidding and how bad they want them.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
I talked to mr motohashi of barchetta about whether or not he would rerelease these. (he rereleased the hayashi taillights.) He said that the light output is horrendous, and that Mr. Hayashi commented that if he were to make them today, he'd make the fixed lights like barchetta sells. However, with the technology at the time about 15 years ago, it was not feasible to build a fixed light, so that's why they did it the way they did. So unfortunately, the shop that could recreate them won't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts