• KYB AGX w/ Tein S-Tech

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm looking into suspension now, and there are so many different choices/combinations to choose from, and I'm really not sure what's right for me. Being a high school student, I don't have unlimited cash flow. Far from it. So I'm looking at something that won't completely destroy my budget. Ride quality is not a huge factor, but the NA is my daily driver, so I don't want to develop back problems immediately. :lol: The car will see occasional autoX and track day use, aside from typical street driving. I'd love to run Tein Basics, but they're way over budger ($750 or so, IIRC), and FM's stage 1 kit is pushing it at about $600. I've read good reviews about Tokico's kit, and that's about $355 shipped, a very attractive price, but I'm not sure if that's enough for the track. Of course, I'm certain it's better than stock. So, what can you tell me? I'm searched forever both here and on M.net, but I feel like I'm chasing my tail. Help me out, would you?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Tell us what you're budget is and we'll show you what's available at that price. There are a million different combinations available depending on your priorities, what compromises you're willing to make, whether you'd consider used vs. new parts, etc. You're basically asking for the automotive equivalent of some cross-training sneakers that will work for you on both prom night and while mowing the lawn. Unfortunately, it can't be good at doing both.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell us what you're budget is and we'll show you what's available at that price. There are a million different combinations available depending on your priorities, what compromises you're willing to make, whether you'd consider used vs. new parts, etc. You're basically asking for the automotive equivalent of some cross-training sneakers that will work for you on both prom night and while mowing the lawn. Unfortunately, it can't be good at doing both.
Excellent analogy. :mrgreen: I'd say my budget is up to $500. Handling will be the priority, I'll compromise comfort for that. I'd probably prefer new parts, as there is certainly less doubt in quality there, but if it was from a reliable source, I would consider used. Essentially, I'm looking for whatever combination will give me the best performance in AutoX and on the track without totally destroying my budget.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Handling will be the priority, I'll compromise comfort for that. Essentially, I'm looking for whatever combination will give me the best performance in AutoX and on the track without totally destroying my budget.
This issue challenges many people who want a dual-purpose car. The better the car is on the track the worse it is on the street and vice versa. If your priority is best auto-x and track handling for $500 then I would suggest used Bilsteins shortened and custom valved with eBay coilovers. If you're lucky you'll find a cheap coilover kit with springs rates around 500lb/in front and 350lb/in rear. If not, whatever the kit comes with will hold you over until you can afford to buy replacement springs so long as they're stiff. If you want good handling with decent ride comfort I'd say Koni Sports on the middle setting with your stock springs and Fat Cat Motorsports bump stops are another good setup. Don't forget to budget around $100 extra for a custom performance alignment by a qualified race or Miata-specific shop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealership I work for has the fully computerized alignment rack, and the head mechanic has experince working with Miatas, so I should have it covered on that end. Shortening and custom valving won't cost over $500? thats a surprise. I'll look into that.

·
2,708 Posts
$500? That's easy. AGX/KYBs from ebay for $275 shipped with Tein S-tech springs for an additional $100. That leaves you room for upgraded brake pads and new rotors.

That's more then enough to get you aquainted with the miata's RWD handling characteristics. I ran that set-up for almost 2 years and it was fine for the track days and autocrosses. Fun and predictable.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If you're lucky you might find some used Bilsteins for $100 locally. [email protected] says, "Our Bilstein rebuilds are very reasonable for the end result." Contact them for exact pricing details. Or you could go straight to Bilstein. They charge $65/ standard mono-tube non-adjustable shock for a complete rebuild or revalve. Shortening the shock body likely costs extra. So figure $120 / shock including shipping there and back. So far you're up to $580. Now add FCM bumpstops ($52) and eBay coilover kit ($45) and you're up to $677. If you want better springs figure another $100-$200. It'll be a kick ass setup but you're coming perilously close to what Tein Basics cost. It's hard to get a high performing track/auto-x worthy suspension for your budget. You can get something that'll work okay (like the Tokico kit or KYB AGX and used lowering springs) but it won't be the best performing. Having said that, the best performance mod is seat time. Boston813 kicks my ass with his tired old setup on crappy all-seasons because he's a smooth, fast driver.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
$500? That's easy. AGX/KYBs from ebay for $275 shipped with Tein S-tech springs for an additional $100. That leaves you room for upgraded brake pads and new rotors.

That's more then enough to get you aquainted with the miata's RWD handling characteristics. I ran that set-up for almost 2 years and it was fine for the track days and autocrosses. Fun and predictable.
x2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alrite, the KYB AGX/S-tech sounds good, as does the tokico. my only gripe is that tokico doesn't have a sparkling reputation from what i've read.....MORE RESEARCH!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If you go with the AGX/Tein S.Tech spring combo you'll also need to upgrade your sway bars to achieve sufficient roll stiffness. Then if you ever upgrade to proper track stiff springs you'll end up removing your rear sway bar so think about whether you want to do your upgrades in planned stages or whether you don't mind redoing some of your mods later on as you outgrow them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, I'll be going from broke high school student to broker college student soon, so I don't anticipate a major upgrade to full track-spec suspension for a while, honestly. Wish I did.

·
Registered
552 Posts
no bumpstop or top mount upgrade needed with agx/tein s springs??

would r bilsteins and tein s be a good combo to learn on? and what about bumpstops/ top mounts with these?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Koni sports w/stock springs. Once you start changing spring rates you need to upgrade other areas of your suspension.
After the Konis and the alignment look into a drivers' course.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
By replacing the springs with a different set of springs that have a different rate. Or by cutting coils. Or by changing their heat treatment with a torch causing them to become all saggy. Or...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
doh. i was thinking there was some trick to change the rates on one set of springs. i was left scratching my head. heh.. damn, i'm dense.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I voted for Koni/stock springs. Reason is it gives you room to grow in the future. Here is your progression as you get more money:

1. Koni/stock springs - you get some ride height adjustment w/ the c-ring perches
2. Koni/lowering springs- extra $100 gets you Tein springs
3. Koni/GC - extra $350? gets you height adj. coilovers (or cheaper if you go ebay)
4. Koni/GC w/ FM bump stop
4b. Koni/GC with shortened case and shortened rod
5. 4 or 4b with revalving.

Whereas the KYB has no c-ring ride height adjustment, and cannot be opened up to be rebuilt/modified, unlike Konis and Bilsteins, or even Teins.

IMHO the KYB's never felt quite right with stiffer-than-stock springs anyways. If you up the damping to the point where it can control the springs, then there is too much bump damping, and also the ride becomes too choppy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts