ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wanted to know for those that have wrapped their aftermarket headers, what size of the wrap did you use? and how much is needed?

i was doing some research, there are couple of different size widths and lengths.
1" to 3" wide
12' to 50' long

thanks,
benjamin

·
OG Member
583 Posts
Check with leatherface24, he wrapped his.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I belive i used 2 inch dunno how long it was. But if you do it. Wet the stuff. So the fiberglass dos'nt go everywhere. Yea that sucked.

·
Registered
459 Posts
CAUTION: wrapping headers usually voids the header warranty. the reason being it contains the heat for betterr heat scavaging...etc. you already know the rest and thats why u're wrapping them. but for others that haven't tried it... try not to use in combination with thin mild steel with ceramic coating because it cracks opens the header under long hard abusive driving (i.e. climbing up and down mountain roads).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^thanks for the warning, yeah i know about the ceramic coating problems. just to confirm, as long as it's a stainless steel header, it's ok, right?

benjamin

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Not really. Even if it's stainless the condensation you get with header wrap can cause it to rust out pretty quick.

·
Registered
459 Posts
not necessarily. the best way i would try is to paint the stainless pipes with high heat paint... like flat black duplicolor engine enamel. thermotec sells their own heat wrap paint coat... but it should be the same. personally, i haven't seen any rusted stainless headers. but one warning on the application, do use the high-heat engine enamel on header and on the heatwrap itself after appication, and do soak the wrap in water...it goes to help with having a tighter wrap and lessens the rash you get from the fiberglass threads from the wrap. follow the instructions, and do allow time for break-in or the wrap to set in...

·
Registered
459 Posts
oops, soak the heat wrap in water first. then install.
and try lapping 1/2 or each round as to give it room for expansion. after install, let dry but partially damp so you can paint again and have the heat enamel set as far in into the wrap as possible.

loooonnnggg process. but worth it. you can literally grab the headers 30 secs. after shutting off the car and not get burned. removes a LOT of engine heat!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^
thanks for your detailed explanation, this will definitely help once i have the time to do it.

btw, you need a tripod for your camera, i looked in your profile... :mrgreen:

benjamin

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has anyone wrapped the stock exhaust manifold? Any long term negative implications to doing that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i had a heat wrap on my car. killed the headers after 4 years of use.

DON'T USE IT.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Basically anything that can be said about the stuff has been said already. That beind said lol, I got my header wrap from Lewco Specialty Products. Its alot thicker than DEI's stuff and alot better quality also.

Under hood temps have been reduced GREATLY! No lie, after driving the car hard, I can actually touch the headers for about a full second and not get burned. That may not sound like much but to those in the know, its alot.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
That definitely says a lot. Without a heatshield I couldn't even hover my hand over my manifold within a inch without pulling away. Now I can place my hand on it.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Im also going to cover the heat wrap with the TDR Heat sheild and a Corns aluminum heat sheild to. I figure theres no way to get the hotside any cooler than that!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ran the DEI heat wrap on my megan racing tube manifold on my SR and i never had no probs and they would get to red hot?.. No cracks when i took it off to sell. and thats also the cheapest manifold made. may be im just lucky

1 - 19 of 19 Posts