ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I personally do not like having pop ups popped up all the time, and on my old MK1 MR2 I had driving lights (H4 high/low bulbs) installed in the turn signals to use in low light conditions (like a well lit street at night). So my question is... Is there any way to retro fit some projectors w/ HIDs behind the turn signal lens? This would mean relocating the turn signals to the driving lamp space. I think it would look cool, and you could sand and polish the lens to be smooth for better light output. You could also remove the regular pop ups to save some weight.

·
Registered
484 Posts
someone's done this before.. it was a red miata with piaa's (P-3000 TRI BEAM) installed in it. if you search around in miata.net you can find it, also there was another fellow who retrofitted some h4 bulbs into the turn signal lense. I personally have installed 9006's inside the turn signal lense but i got rid of it because i got very frustrated and mad at alot of driver but it ended up being that my signal lights weren't as obvious anymore. And the signal light housing was acitng more like an upwards foglight which blinded people infront of me.

if you wanted to use this for daytime running lights, it would be fine. but other then that it's not very useful...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just did this today. I'm waiting til it is dark to test it.
I dont care if i piss off the people in front of me. i get tired of big ass truck blinding the hell out of small cars.
But they are bright enough for night driving right?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just did this today. I'm waiting til it is dark to test it.
I dont care if i piss off the people in front of me. i get tired of big ass truck blinding the hell out of small cars.
But they are bright enough for night driving right?
not that as good as the real headlights because it has no cut off so it's pretty much like a upwards foglight.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
ThePass's car uses P4000's in a custom housing/bracket. Looks sweet...kinda Nissan NX2000-ish imo. I would love to make this, but P4000s are around $400 each...so yeah, no cost benefit there....lol

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
ThePass's car uses P4000's in a custom housing/bracket. Looks sweet...kinda Nissan NX2000-ish imo. I would love to make this, but P4000s are around $400 each...so yeah, no cost benefit there....lol
P-3000s*

You can get them for $305 shipped on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIAA-P-3000-P3000-Tri-Beam-Lamps-Lights-Kit-P-N-3051_W0QQitemZ130044359920QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33709QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I'd say the aerodynamic and weight advantages are worth more than "nothing" :? But that's just personal preference you know

·
Registered
484 Posts
who is "thepass's" so far i haven't seen anyone use p4000's other then myself in the headlight. but i didn't use a custom mount. i just hacked up the original.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Ah, yes. It was P3000s. Geromichi, you posted in his thread on M.net. Red NA w/ RB front bumper, canards, etc. Btw, do you have links or a write-up on your mod? I'd like to see what you've posted about. I searched M.net and never found anything.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I had the same idea.
However, you have to wonder if the Ebay turn signals are quality parts though. The clear lens could be some cheap plastic. However, if it isn't, I have an idea....probably similar to Geromichi's (based on his descriptions I've read).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts