ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm sure this topic has come up many a time, but I was not able to find any old threads to help me solve this problem that i just encountered today. I drive a 96 White Miata.

Let me share the symptoms:

The headlights worked fine a few weeks ago, but as I was driving back home i tried to turn on the headlights. The lights lit up but the headlights did not pop up.

The only way to get the headlights to pop up is to turn on the high beams or to press the headlight button on the dashboard. I've checked the fuses and they seemed fine. I was told that I should check the relays, but I don't really know where they would be located or if that would be the problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

-Will

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ah! On my '95, the last time I had issues with some of the electrical stuff, I accidentally discovered the pop up relay. If you are in front of the car facing the engine, you will see a plastic box on the driver's side of the engine, right on the fender near the firewall. Take it off. You will see a few relays attached to it. Mine was the one closest to the driver's side of the firewall. It's in that box, but I'm trying to give you a location if that makes sense. Hahaha!

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me begin by saying thanks for your time! Welp I found that box that you were talking about. I opened up the relay box and i saw 3 relay's a H300 , and two LA10's. I tried unplugging all of them and tried turning on the headlights, no luck. Then I tried the high beams and they popped up. Do you know what these relay's do?!

Get a NB eh? Haha thanks for the suggestion, but I just love how the NA looks and I just can't see my self with any other Miata. Although, the NC with that mean bumper reminds me of the 3rd gen RX-7.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i had a problem with one of those relays... i forgot which one it was, but inside of the actual box i found a broken trace. probably from when i was messing around with the center console plug. But i patched it up with some wire and solder and it works like new =)

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
On the bright side you can manually crank them up if the relays go out.

·
Registered
257 Posts
On the bright side you can manually crank them up if the relays go out.
Or if you want to make them sleepy...

Or if you had no choice because electronic wizardry is made up and somehow your lights would open but not close even without the stock relay (the opening part).....

I just gave up and got flush mounts after a few months of closing them by hand...

If I ever have to do anything real I'm boned. I only like the instant rice, uncle bens ftw.

·
Registered
174 Posts
did you fix it could be a 30 amp fuse i think its a 30 amp

·
Supporting Member
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope it's still not fixed =(. I checked the 30A fuse it looks like it is still OK, maybe i'll try pulling the fuse out of my other miata and try it on this one. The fuse looks like it's still intact though. I HAVE thought about going to flush headlights... but thats 500 i don't know if i wanna spend on that. DAMN IT ALL!

-Will

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Or if you want to make them sleepy...

Or if you had no choice because electronic wizardry is made up and somehow your lights would open but not close even without the stock relay (the opening part).....

I just gave up and got flush mounts after a few months of closing them by hand...

If I ever have to do anything real I'm boned. I only like the instant rice, uncle bens ftw.
Did ur hazards work? I took the console off a friend's new miata (new to him, 97) and put it back on w/o plugging the harness connector in for the headlights/hazard switch and when he turned his lights on, they would turn off but wouldn't go back down lol. oops.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't looked yet, but if the headlight motors have a cap on them somewhere that you can open up, there are 3 bushings inside that wear out. If your problem isn't electric, this could be it. Somewhere has the kit, ebay or something, and it comes with nylon bushings not rubber.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem in my 1991 Miata - the headlights switch on, but the lights no longer pop up unless I use the button on the dash. I went to have a listen to the relay to see if it clicks when turning on the lights, and after fiddling with its connection everything works again, so it was just 27 years of grime. Saved me a new relay!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's gonna be slightly different, with me being located in Australia. I have the same issue and there is a headlight retractor relay located under the dash with the turn signal flasher etc on the RH side.

When I turn on my headlights and they don't go up, I reach under and give it a tap, and they pop right up. The relay is dodgy obviously. This is different from the relay that the dash switch uses.

I assume for you guys it'll be on the LH side under the dash. Give it a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts