ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, this is the second time I got jacked for my headunit. Some low-life has no better way of making money. :evil:

So, to avoid this from happening again I was thinking of securing a new cd player in the glove box and using a remote to change volume and stations. Or should I just get the OEM 99 miata cd player installed in the center console.

Help me out guys!

Thanks much,

-Q

·
Registered
718 Posts
doing the cd player in the glove box, and then integrating the remote with like a barchetta console or something like that would be sick, but then again, would probably cost more than a few head units.

you could also try to fab a plate that holds a head unit in place with some obscure torx heads or something, and use the red loctite also. other than that, I have no good suggestions other than weather the storm. sorry bro. :?

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
I've got just the thing for that:

http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

A lot of classic car guys use this because it's easily hidden wherever (glovebox, trunk, gas tank, you name it), can be operated up to 50 ft away, and puts out decent power to not need an extra amp to get decent sound.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I was going to make a trick door to cover my audio setup. It was going to have fluid damped hinges with a magnetic catch and the door was going to slide into the dash and disappear when opened just like a high-end home audio cabinet. But I couldn't get my head unit positioned deep enough inside my dash to make it work. And now that I'm adding a bunch of toggle switches to the console I don't even have any room for my EQ anymore so I'm probably going to remote mount that in my glovebox where my XM tuner resides.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My headunit comes with me. It's just my iPod, a charging line-out adaptor that acts as a preamp (with vol. control!), then goes to an amp in the trunk wired to the speakers.

Haven't had a theft problem, but I didn't want to deal with the broken glass, cut soft top, or shimmied open sheet metal.

Plus, all the CDs I was burning where from my computer anyway, and the radio sucks in this area.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree... broken glass is a pain to clean up and I don't even want to imagine someone cutting my top, i would snap if that happened.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Actually, looking at that Secret-Audio thing, looks like it might be small enough to fit behind a door or ash-tray like thing.

Er, something like the Toyota Ash Trays where you press the front and it falls forward, would be perfect with the Mazda 1.5din cubby and block off plate you can get for like $40 from the dealer.

·
Formerly skiboyjake
1,390 Posts
if you can find a head unit with a GOOD remote, you you probably just put it in the glove box, and bend some aluminum brackets to hold it in place. run the wiring out the back, and you should be set.

perhaps if you angled it right, you might not need a remote. glove box isn't out of my reach from a normal driving position. a remote would be nice though, but my bet is not neccessary.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
you can get a regular detachable face HU, mount it anywhere you like and solder up some wires (cat5=perfect) to mount the faceplate somewhere else... in the Visor or the a-pillar would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
That's a LOT of soldering though. And if you wanted to retain the detatchability feature you'd need to remove the connector from the HU body and then solder directly to the head unit. Then if It's a flip-down face you'd have to remove the backplate so that if you want to still use CDs you can do that and not pop your cable out every time. But then it might freak out the head unit since the faceplate would be permanently attached, I dunno, specualtion abounds. :lol: I always seem to be the small voice that points out the hard stuff before a project starts :p If someone can do it, be my guest, i'd love to see the end result.

·
Formerly skiboyjake
1,390 Posts
i would think both the visor and a-pillar would be kinda awkward spots. the visor would never stay up, and the a pillar would tilt the faceplate a lot. although, i guess those are better spots than any i can think of. which is none.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts