ClubRoadster.net banner

Heat Extractor Hood

9K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Revox70 
#1 ·
Lets talk about Heat Extractors the hood.

I've seen a few options out there, people have used the mini cooper scoop, the for GT500 vent, and Singular Motorsports has developed their own which seems to be the best.

My engine bay is getting heat soaked, my future plans are to build a box around my intake filter, wrap my header and then put an extractor on my hood.

Experts, what are your opinions on the options available to us? I like Singular's but I like the look of the GT500 vent the best.

EDIT: interesting, I just found this option the Subaru bumper vents, see picture below

Singular Motorsports

GT500 vent

Mini scoop

Subaru Vents

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm no expert but here is another option. I have a polished hood that i plan on doing this to. I believe these are off of a jeep.

Flying Miata makes a similar type but not as long.
They even include some instructions on where to mount them for best heat extraction!
https://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/misc/louvers.pdf

#3 ·
This was the site i found when i was entertaining cutting up my hood http://hoodlouvers.com/
They offer quite a few designs and they even have a miata section in the gallery.

#6 ·
While forum users will always promote friends' businesses, and there will always be a level of nut hugging going on.........I can vouch that the singular motorsports products do work really well, but the GT500 vent will work also. Only installed the center vent of the 3 singular vents on my v8 swapped e36, and it stopped my overheating problems. The GT500 has been proven to work as well, many times on miataturbo.net.

#9 · (Edited)
I used to use vents from ebay that were intended for marine applications. A search for "bilge vents" will reveal quite a few effective options.

These are the ones that I had before I switched to a different hood. As you can see, air flows out of them and they were relatively inexpensive.

Relatively inexpensive ebay option:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALBIN-SILVE...m1c34a3ec1e:m:mss6u9Y42811iL071PI0fVw&vxp=mtr

This is my new versacce setup for one percenters. Air flows out of these vents as well.

Edit: I'm not sure if you care, but some vents will require you to hack up the inner structure of your hood, thereby giving it some of the properties of a wet noodle. I've had a floppy hood before and while not the end of the world, it's also not ideal. I believe the Singular vents were designed around the inner framework so their installation will require less angle grinder hackery and leave you with a firmer hood than a lot of other options.

#10 ·
This is what I did. It's right over top the intake and I've data logged 20 - 30 degree lower intake temperatures with it.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I'm really surprised the placement of these vents hasnt been the subject of discussion as much as the type. The style of vent is completely secondary to where it is being placed. IMO almost none of these are placed properly but I don't have data to back up my observation. The problem is, neither do most of the vent owners.

Generally speaking, just behind the radiator but in front of the motor is where you want the vent so that air coming through the radiator is drawn through. It needs to be in a high pressure location. Placing vents over the engine or side rails may or may not be doing anything at all for temperatures or airflow. You would need temperature sensors and before/after data.

I work in racing and I'm around teams all the time - of all makes and models, not just Miata. It seems most of the photos as discussion here are relative to looks and aesthetics only because there is no data to show they are doing what is intended, besides claims that, "air is moving through the vents".

Good job to those that have proof - you should show the actual data and how you made the decision to place the vent. It would be helpful to everybody else!

I do have my own heat extractor hood - ViS. Purchased only after destroying my OE hood. Temps where fine before the hood and nothing changed after in terms of temperatures on track.

#12 ·
Generally speaking, just behind the radiator but in front of the motor is where you want the vent so that air coming through the radiator is drawn through.
Exactly where we built the vent on this car that you're well familiar with -

By the time we were done with ducting, the car went from not being able to finish 4-5 hot laps in a row to borderline too cold after running a full hard session on a 90 degree day, which means it still has reserves for those 100+ degree days.
You know the owner, in case you want to confirm ;)

This is using the same Radiator as before, BTW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.